Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can't Inform Me Over Phone?

Rate this question

tom91

Question

My letter should be forthcoming but was advised that even though my appeal decision may be available to phone rep, they can't inform me of decision as I have to receive letter first.

Since when did this come to be? they've informed me on previous outcomes!

Us vets wait months and years on end for answers simply due to backlogs...then they make us wait days on end for the mail when they could simply tell us and end the frustration/worry!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hang in there.

If you have a rep I'd call them.

To my knowledge the VBA has never been generous with

providing the rating decision results over the phone.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I never tried it, but I heard if you call back and act unsuspicous and just ask what your percentage is. A few members here I guess has done that and worked. If it doesn't work call back again and hope you get a different person. MHO

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Reasons:

Common Past practice (reasons unknown)

Guess - - Until the letter actually goes out, there is a faint possibility that the claim may get "hung up" in internal processes, such as oversight audits, etc.

My experience is mixed. I've had both extremes, in that "wait for the letter" and also after I fully identified the claim, the issues, and the expected results, they were confirmed.

However, even with that, they refused to accept a request for the "optional" letters required to apply for ID cards, tax reduction, etc. until I had "the letter" and could give them the date, etc.

Then, a simple phone call produced results in a few days.

My letter should be forthcoming but was advised that even though my appeal decision may be available to phone rep, they can't inform me of decision as I have to receive letter first.

Us vets wait months and years on end for answers simply due to backlogs...then they make us wait days on end for the mail when they could simply tell us and end the frustration/worry!

I completely understand why they dont call you. Misunderstandings occur on the phone. Rating decisions are often complicated, sometimes with several issues denied, others awarded, Chapter 35, TDIU, P and T, dependents, etc. etc.

Personally, I am hard of hearing and prefer email or written correspondence, as 90 percent of the time its me that does the misunderstanding.

With a written decison, there is not "he said she said"..its all down in black and white. While the VA does deviate from this, I would like to see consistency.

I could hear it now. You get the decision and call them back, "But she said on the phone it was supposed to be .....% for this an >>>% for that, with a combined total of ....% which would qualify me for TDIU"

A phone call of your rating decision is not going to make your money show up one hour earlier, and leaves more room for confusion and errors. We already have enough of them.

I never tried it, but I heard if you call back and act unsuspicous and just ask what your percentage is. A few members here I guess has done that and worked. If it doesn't work call back again and hope you get a different person. MHO

I have seen this work in the past.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

They wouldn't give us details on the phone either so we called our POA, the American Legion. They gave us the news, down to the penny, and were very helpful. I suggest you contact yours.....couldn't hurt.

Good luck.