Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When Vso & Vet Not Communicating

Rate this question

autumn

Question

when a vet feels a vso/pva isn't communicating, then what?

vso hasn't returned calls to questions in over 2 weeks. secretary says this, says that, i told vso you called, etc. very well could be a good reason why no phone calls returned. he was traveling they said, then he was sick, then he was busy visiting hospitals, etc. but it leaves me a bit weary.

whom does a vet turn to then?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do you think poor communication is going to help your claim? I doubt it.

certainly not. after 5-6 months of VA never scheduling the correct C&P exams, though PVA requested them twice, basically the PVA said to quit bothering them about it and give the VA the benefit of the doubt. called a congressman and got the exams done. neither C&P doc had my c-files which was strange. i have no idea what they wrote as i get off balance reading those things. so i faxed it to PVA and asked them what they thought. never a call back or response.

i had an attorney once and i had to intervene to find out where my c-file was cuz they didn't/wouldn't. it was collecting dust in some obscure office so RO couldn't make a decision. i had VA get it to RO asap. got service connected for MS right after that. giving up 20% for that just left me uneasy. again, i did the work.

what is EAJA?

• HadIt.com Elder

To Autumn

VSO's are usually OK to use in the initial claims app process.

After that, you are more or less on your own. About all they may be good for after that is a quick reading of any forms, etc. that you send to the VA.

Usually, obvious mistakes are caught. Others may not be. Generally, they are not particularly useful for complex claims.

Individual VSOs vary widely in what they can and will do for a veteran.

Many years ago, I was literally given free run of the Chicago VARO, even though I was just a veteran pursuing his own case. Turned out that

I had accidentally managed to dress as a VSO might, down to the lapel and tie pins. In addition, I went to the VARO from work (engineering) at a defense plant, and not bothered to

remove the IDs, etc. from my coat pocket.

Lawyers are more willing to get involved when there is substantial retro involved. Remember that there was a suspension of payments recently made for some cases that fall under the equal justice act that can effect veteran's cases.

This leaves the 20% of retro payment from the retro award as the only payment to the lawyer. It's interesting that a lawyer can actually legally charge additionally for reasonable expenses. To do so, an itemized accounting to the VA and veteran

can be required, and the VA can limit the expenses actually paid. So the lawyers often just consider such things as the cost of doing business with a veteran's case, and do not ask for expenses.

You can be your own VSO if (IMHO)

1. You have the time to research and follow up. If you negelect to send in certain paperwork, it wont work.

2. You need an address, and internet connection with a computer to do research. Library may work in a pinch if you can go there often.

3. You have to have some research and organization skills, such as a file to put all your papers, and are willing to pay for copies and not lose your copies.

4. Access to a printer is necessary. You can put your letters and stuff on a jump drive and take it elsewhere if you dont have a working printer.

If you dont have the time, computer skills, organization/research skills, then you are best advised to have a VSO.

You are in the right place if you want to represent yourself, many do here. While I have a VSO, he is pretty much useless and unavailable, so I pretty much do stuff myself. Having a VSO can save you a few dollars in postage, copying, etc.

To Autumn

VSO's are usually OK to use in the initial claims app process.

After that, you are more or less on your own. About all they may be good for after that is a quick reading of any forms, etc. that you send to the VA.

Usually, obvious mistakes are caught. Others may not be. Generally, they are not particularly useful for complex claims.

Individual VSOs vary widely in what they can and will do for a veteran.

Many years ago, I was literally given free run of the Chicago VARO, even though I was just a veteran pursuing his own case. Turned out that

I had accidentally managed to dress as a VSO might, down to the lapel and tie pins. In addition, I went to the VARO from work (engineering) at a defense plant, and not bothered to

remove the IDs, etc. from my coat pocket.

Lawyers are more willing to get involved when there is substantial retro involved. Remember that there was a suspension of payments recently made for some cases that fall under the equal justice act that can effect veteran's cases.

This leaves the 20% of retro payment from the retro award as the only payment to the lawyer. It's interesting that a lawyer can actually legally charge additionally for reasonable expenses. To do so, an itemized accounting to the VA and veteran

can be required, and the VA can limit the expenses actually paid. So the lawyers often just consider such things as the cost of doing business with a veteran's case, and do not ask for expenses.

confirms why i feel so "on my own anyways" when having a VSO. pretty much up to us anyways i see. the last lawyer i had got his 20% though i did more work than his office did on my case IMHO

You can be your own VSO if (IMHO)

1. You have the time to research and follow up. If you negelect to send in certain paperwork, it wont work.

2. You need an address, and internet connection with a computer to do research. Library may work in a pinch if you can go there often.

3. You have to have some research and organization skills, such as a file to put all your papers, and are willing to pay for copies and not lose your copies.

4. Access to a printer is necessary. You can put your letters and stuff on a jump drive and take it elsewhere if you dont have a working printer.

If you dont have the time, computer skills, organization/research skills, then you are best advised to have a VSO.

You are in the right place if you want to represent yourself, many do here. While I have a VSO, he is pretty much useless and unavailable, so I pretty much do stuff myself. Having a VSO can save you a few dollars in postage, copying, etc.

been doing this for awhile. a former analyst so research i can do when feeling up to it

>>If you negelect to send in certain paperwork, it wont work

got a letter from VA about paperwork, called and faxed VSO about it, never heard back about it. so tonight i'm dong the letter with supportive docs and mailing it to RO tomorrow. taking a chance it is correct.