Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Cola Is Finally Coming Fw: The Retired Enlisted Association Washington Update For June 24, 2011

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

: [VeteranIssues] A COLA is Finally Coming FW: The Retired ENLISTED Association Washington Update for June 24, 2011Date: Jun 24, 2011 4:54 PM

A COLA is Finally Coming (We Think)-The Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased for the 9th straight month in May. This time it increased by 0.5%. The CPI is the basis for calculating a Cost-of-Living-Adjustment (COLA) for many programs including military retired pay, veterans’ disability pay, SBP, DIC and Social Security. If nothing changes in the next 4 months, there should be a COLA of 3.4%. But it is likely that there will be further inflation so we are expecting a substantial increase. We will continue to follow the monthly findings and pass them on to you.

Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 12:26 PM

To: Dan Cedusky

Subject: The Retired ENLISTED Association Washington Update for June 24, 2011

The Retired ENLISTED Association

Washington Update

"Like" Us on

This has been a very significant time for the U.S Military. President Obama announced his plan for withdrawal from Afghanistan on Wednesday; a new Secretary of Defense was confirmed on Tuesday. On Thursday the President travelled to speak to the troops at Ft. Drum in N.Y. while in DC Congress is debating our role in Libya.

1) A COLA is Finally Coming (We Think)-The Consumer Price Index (CPI) increased for the 9th straight month in May. This time it increased by 0.5%. The CPI is the basis for calculating a Cost-of-Living-Adjustment (COLA) for many programs including military retired pay, veterans’ disability pay, SBP, DIC and Social Security. If nothing changes in the next 4 months, there should be a COLA of 3.4%. But it is likely that there will be further inflation so we are expecting a substantial increase. We will continue to follow the monthly findings and pass them on to you.

2) Panetta Unanimously Confirmed as Next Secretary Of Defense-On Tuesday the Senate voted 100-0 to confirm Leon Panetta as Secretary of Defense. He will assume the office on June 30 after the retirement of SecDef Robert Gates. Mr. Panetta has been a fixture in Washington and public affairs for almost 40 years. He served for 2 years in the U.S. Army (1964-1966) leaving as a 1st Lieutenant.

After first serving in the Nixon Administration he became a Democrat and was elected for nine terms as a member of the House of Representatives from California. While in the House he served on the Budget Committee and was its Chairman from 1989-1993. In 1993 he left the House to serve first as President Clinton’s head of the Office of Management and Budget and then as his Chief of Staff. He has been President Obama’s head of the Central Intelligence Agency since 2009.

He received praise from both sides of the aisle. Republican Senator Lindsey Graham (SC) said: “Just a home-run choice. The president made a very wise decision.” Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand (D-NY) said: “For over four decades, Leon Panetta has been an extraordinary public servant spanning several administrations.” She also noted that he had: “played an instrumental role in the successful mission to bring Osama bin Laden to justice.”

We should realize and be concerned that much of the praise was directed at Mr. Panetta perceived ability to cut the Defense Budget. President Obama has called for $400 billion in DoD cuts in the next 12 years. With his history with the OMB and the Budget Committee many members of Congress think that he will be more likely to cut the Defense budget than Secretary Gates was willing or able to do. Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) said: “He is the most qualified individual to tackle the huge budgetary issues.” In a similar vein Senator Carl Levin (D-MI), Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) said: the Secretary of Defense will need to look at every military program and expense and “make the tough choices and trade-offs between our warfighters’ requirements today and preparations for the threats of tomorrow.” And Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) said:”In this time of tight budgets, he knows how to do more with less.”

3) SASC’s NDAA Mark Up Includes Changes To TRICARE Benefit-The Senate Armed Services Committee’s (SASC) mark-up of its version of the FY2012 followed the HASC’s lead and included several unfortunate changes in the military health benefits. The Senate bill includes an increase of $60 (for individuals) rising to $260 and an increase of a $120 (for families) rising to $520 enrollment fees for TRICARE Prime in FY2012 for military retirees under the age of 65. Like the House bill it also includes an annual enrollment fee increase from FY2013 onward equal to any yearly federal COLA increase (rather than the medical cost index that DoD was urging). It also included changes in the pharmacy copays for all beneficiaries, and forces newly enrolled members of the Uniformed Services Family Health Plan (USFHP) to age out of the program at age 65 and transfer to TRICARE for Life.

4) Cutting Imminent Danger and Hostile Fire Pay-Looking for ways to lower federal spending the SASC amazingly looked to imminent danger pay. Presently, if a service member spends any time in a war zone/imminent danger area he/she receives a full month imminent danger pay. All $225 of it. In their version of the NDAA the Senate Armed Services Committee requires that the services start to prorate the pay based upon how many days the member is in the designated zone. Stopping what some have called a “combat pay windfall” is projected to save only $30 million a year! The House of Representative’s version of the NDAA has no such provision. TREA strongly urges that this miserably cheap proposal be killed during the Committees’ conference.

5) Exciting Discovery in Military Medical Program-It is said that wars lead to great medical breakthroughs and we may be seeing a new example of that. DoD has invested $70 million in researching “regenerative medicine”. The program is having some stunning successes.

Marine Corporal Isaias Hernandez was just 19 when he lost 70% of his right thigh muscle in Afghanistan when an enemy mortar exploded near him as he was repairing a truck. Normally such a wound would require amputation. However in his case his doctors had Corporal Hernandez strengthen the remaining 30% of muscle. In preparation for the operation, corporal Hernandez was made to build up the remaining 30 per cent of muscle left on the damaged thigh and he was injected with a growth promoting substance extracted from pig bladders. Surgeons then sliced into the thigh, placing a thin slice of a substance called extracellular matrix.

Since the growth hormone treatment the Corporal has regained most of his leg’s strength. This is considered particularly exciting since it regenerated skeletal muscle which does not normally grow back. If future results are consistent with this case it could revolutionize how numerous injuries and wounds are treated.

6) The Outlook for Next week-The Senate may finally start working on its Appropriation bills. Unlike the House of Representatives the Senate has said they are waiting for a deficit reduction agreement before they start working on their 12 Appropriation bills. However with negotiations continuing they have indicated that they will start taking up bills next week. First likely to be taken up is the House passed Military Construction-VA Appropriations Bill (HR2055). This passed the House with bipartisan agreement (411-5) Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL), a ranking member of the subcommittee predicted that it would pass easily: “ Members generally support veterans, and Chairman Johnson [D-S.D.] and I agree on just about every provision of the bill…. “I think we’re ready for a rocket sled.” The Senate mark-up is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, June 28 and we expect it then to go to the Full Committee on Thursday, June 30.

There are not many Congressional hearings scheduled for next week. The Senate Committee of Veterans Affairs will have a hearing on Wednesday June 29 at 3:00 p.m. on “pending legislation and the Senate Armed Services Committee will have a hearing on Tuesday June 28 to consider the nomination of 3 flag officers.

7) Letters to Congress-Frequently in our updates we mention bills under consideration in Congress and we urge you to write to your Senators and Representative to either support or oppose them. We also put letters on Capwiz that you can use to quickly contact your Senators or Congressman in support of, or opposition to, bills or issues. That feature is available at the bottom of each legislative update where it says: Reminder: We have pre-written letters that you can email or send to your Congressional Representatives. Go to: .

However, we don’t always put letters on Capwiz for all of the bills we mention. That’s because TREA operates by resolution and not all bills are covered by our current resolutions. So if we believe our members may be interested in proposed legislation we bring the bills to your attention and urge you to take whatever action you wish to take.

Recently we reported on six bills that are under consideration in the Senate: S423, S491, S696, S698, S815, and S894. We have posted letters for S423, S696, and S894. We will be posting additional letters on Capwiz. Again, please go to http://www.capwiz.com/trea/issues/bills/ to view those letters and decide if you want to send letters to your members of Congress, or you can call them, fax them or mail a traditional letter of your own.

8) Survivor of Bataan Death March Passes Away-James Downey Jr., a survivor of the 1942 Bataan Death March in the Philippines, died Monday in Gloucester, Virginia. He was 96 years old.

Downey served with the Army‘s 26th Cavalry Philippine Scouts, a unit that still rode horses into battle in the early days of World War II. His mother was of Philippine and Spanish heritage and his father was from Augusta County, Georgia, a cavalry officer who fought in the Spanish-American War.

In 1936 Downey had tried out for the U.S. Olympic swim team, when Japanese soldiers captured him on April 9, 1942. He was 27 years old.

He was put in line with thousands of other prisoners and ordered to start walking. The rule was simple, he recalled: “if you stop, you die”.

The forced march to a Japanese POW camp covered 60 miles and lasted five days. Downey’s little brother, Robert, was captured with him and survived the march but eventually died of sickness.

James Downey retired from the Army in 1963 as a master sergeant. He served a stint at Fort Eustis in Newport News, Virginia, where he met his wife, Frances, who passed away in 2006.

For more, see: http://articles.dailypress.com/2011-06-20/news/dp-nws-bataan-death-march-obit-20110620_1_bataan-death-march-japanese-soldiers-japanese-tank

9) U.S. Army Announces Site For Its Planned National Museum.-The open secret of the site of the long planned U.S. Army was made official this week. It will be at the North Post of Ft. Belvoir. The museum is being privately funded by the Army Historical Society. The plan is for the museum to open in June 2013.

When making the announcement Secretary of the Army John M. McHugh said: “In presenting the Army’s storied 236-year history, this long-overdue facility will offer the American people a unique opportunity to connect with our soldiers and better understand and appreciate their many and glorious stories.”

Presently the Army is the only service without a service-wide museum. The Navy Museum is located at the Navy Yard in Washington D.C.; the Marine Corps Museum is located at the Marine Base Quantico in Prince William County, Va.; and the Air Force Museum is located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio and the Coast Guard Museum is at the Coast Guard Academy in New London Connecticut.

10) Contract Fight Between Walgreens And Express Scripts Reaches Impasse-Express Scripts, which is the contractor for both the TRICARE Retail Pharmacy and TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery, and Walgreens, the largest drug store chain in the country is having a knocked down drag out contract fight. This week Walgreen publically announced that they will stop filling Express Scripts prescription benefits on January 1. Of course there are still many months to go. Walgreens receives over $5.5 billion in annual revenue from Express Scripts plans. It makes a full 7% of their revenue. (Express Scripts is the second-largest pharmacy benefits manager in the United States and expects to handle at least 750 million prescription claims this year.)

Surely we will hear more about this in the weeks ahead, TREA will watch to see if this fight may harm TRICARE Pharmacy beneficiaries and keep you informed.

11) Parris Island Gets Woman General-Last Friday Brig. Gen. Loretta Reynolds took command of the Marine’s Training Depot, Parris Island. Reynolds is the first woman to take command of the base in its 96 year history. She will also be in charge of the Marines’ Eastern Recruiting Region, which covers the 23 states east of the Mississippi River.

Serving a year in Afghanistan she became the first woman Marine to hold a command position in a battle zone.

She is 1 of 3 women generals in the 200,000 member Marine Corps. She graduated from the Naval Academy in 1986. In total there are 12,339 enlisted women, 108 women warrant officers and 1,224 women officers in the Marine Corps.

On the Parris Island website, the service said training for men and women is identical, and that roughly 2,400 female recruits go through it every year.

Parris Island graduates 20,000 Marines a year and is the only site where female enlisted Marines are trained to enter the service.

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil

One thing to consider is that most of the national leaders of business, politics, media and academia avoided the draft and especially service in Vietnam.

As usuall I can't keep my mouth shut so I am sure I will get my head bit off, yet I never learn... So here we go, to say the fedral employees should get 10k while vets get 68k in my opinion is an over exaggeration. I mean they do work, they do have families to support and some of the same problems that most Americans have. Alot of them are vetrans themselves! (exlamation for emphasis not anger) ;) Those who are on 100% it should be enough to support a family on a tight budget. Those who are not, well it is just not suppost to support anyone 100%. It is ment to be a supplement because you just sent capable o holding a good job... So we go to mcdonalds, newspaper routes, and other low paying jobs to make up the difference. I think that if cuts are going to be made and people need to make a sacrifice financially it should be the wellfare. Those who can not pass a drug test, get nothing, and I could go on but I won't.

So there we have it. I'm sure I was not real good at getting all the stuff I wanted to say out o my brain and into the words. So I am sorry.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I get a federal pension. It is not squat. My SSD is more than that pension. If I had to live off my federal pension and SSD I would be asking for food stamps. I got the federal pension because I had to retire on disability after 20 years. The government subtracts 60% of my SSD from the pension. I have just enough left to pay for insurance. I net $250 a month from that pension before taxes. I get fully taxed on my federal disability pension. When certain groups estimate government worker's income they include benefits. There are not many benefits left.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

With respect to the Federal employee pay freeze, they still receive step increases

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know any federal employee hired after 1984 has to pay into SSA. Their pension system was gutted by Ronald Raygun.

I paid about 7% of my salary into the crummy pension and I contributed 10% into the Thrift Savings 401K. The gummit matched 6% I think. I bought back three years of military time. It did me no good since I never made my 30 years. I lost ten years of contractual increases. When I hit 62 I will get full pension from feds minus contract raises which will be around 13,000 a year before taxes and insurance. If that is living high on the hog then feed me no bacon. Working for Uncle Sam is good if you are a retired General.

Mama Bear

A 100% Service connected TDIU Veteran, that is, a Veteran that was so injured in the war he is unable to work, earns about $33,000 per year, or less than HALF of the 68k the average government employee earns to process his paperwork. The $10,000 per year that I cited takes into consideration that most disabled Vets are not 100%. Many are 40% or less, andthe $10,000 per year number "averages" the payment to VEts.

I can not see any justification for VA employees averaging double what a disabled Vet gets, and I most especially dont understand why Va employees get additional raises, when they are already making double what disabled Vets get.

I see no justification for treating Americas heroes that way. Freedom is not free, and if you value yours, thank a Vet, because his sacrafices helped you get your freedom.