Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Worth The Trouble

Rate this question

cooter

Question

I didn't get any bites on an earlier post so I'll try one more time. I was wondering if I'll be wasting my time requesting my SMR a second time around hoping there would be any records that wasn't in the first one?

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

If you can identify exactly what records you want it might help.

My first copy doesn't include not even one blood test result. 5 1/2 yrs of service 71-76, you would think there would be at least one.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

Yes, I think its worth the trouble, Cooter. What do you have to lose? You probably dont know what is in your SMR's, and it could well be there was something pertinent missing that would get you an eed under 38CFR 3.156 C that we discussed. To me, this would be like checking to see if you won this weeks lottery ticket..No, there may not be nothing, but there are lots of lottery winnings never claimed...one of the reasons may be that some one bot a lotto ticket then never checked to see if their's was the winner. Order your SMR's. See what they say...you can probably ask for a copy of your C file, too, then go over things with a fine tooth comb...it would be like looking for "buried treasure".

When you requested these prior were you specific to state you want EVERYTHING in you SMR's all papers, documents, induction and discharge physicals, all medical, all dental, all clinic visits, including any/all labs, promotions, evaluations, duty station changes, again ALL papers in your C-File which would now include your requests, awards, C&P copies, evaluations by VARO, etc.

It took me 6 requests, and a drive to the VARO( by which they made the appt for me to get these and said sorry/copier is broken...I almost went Balistic, talked to Manager who assured me I would receive all in the mail...1 week later I received more).

Send your request via your VSO to inform him/her you still don't have everything in your copies received, and certified/registered to VARO. If it is close by(mine was 157 miles one way to St Louis downtown yeck traffic) call and tell them you want to make an appt to pick them up.

BTW did you request all of these at the page ave address in St Louis, Mo? NARA is the site for the address, as they have ALL the records there and are suppose to send to VARO when you put in a claim, but I know of some vets mental health records were not sent to VARO and they had to go back to Records Division @ Page Ave to get these, themselves. So double check you requested these all from the record division that have millions of records...Good luck and keep all copies of everything too!!

If I could just get ahold of one blood test result while in the service I could tell if I had this disorder Hemochromatosis during that time I served. I would guess to say half of my records are missing. What sucks is, only the ones I need the most are the missing ones! UGH. Anyway, I am seriously thinking getting a copy of my c;file despite the fact my claim has been in the Development stage a little over a year now. What the heck, I've waited this long!

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

When you requested these prior were you specific to state you want EVERYTHING in you SMR's all papers, documents, induction and discharge physicals, all medical, all dental, all clinic visits, including any/all labs, promotions, evaluations, duty station changes, again ALL papers in your C-File which would now include your requests, awards, C&P copies, evaluations by VARO, etc.

It took me 6 requests, and a drive to the VARO( by which they made the appt for me to get these and said sorry/copier is broken...I almost went Balistic, talked to Manager who assured me I would receive all in the mail...1 week later I received more).

Send your request via your VSO to inform him/her you still don't have everything in your copies received, and certified/registered to VARO. If it is close by(mine was 157 miles one way to St Louis downtown yeck traffic) call and tell them you want to make an appt to pick them up.

BTW did you request all of these at the page ave address in St Louis, Mo? NARA is the site for the address, as they have ALL the records there and are suppose to send to VARO when you put in a claim, but I know of some vets mental health records were not sent to VARO and they had to go back to Records Division @ Page Ave to get these, themselves. So double check you requested these all from the record division that have millions of records...Good luck and keep all copies of everything too!!

When I requested the copies they said my SMR was sent to VARO in Phx Az. I simply put down all records on the request. Took about 2 months to get them. I'm going to call RO Mon. and request them again, along with my c;file. I also hired an Org. to find my missing records but they failed to do so. Of course I didn't have to pay either. If they would of found at least one, it would of cost me $100.00.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!