Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi

Rate this question

rydastar

Question

Let me see if i can get across for an answer... i was collecting SS,,,then i applied for SSDI as instructed from my psychiatrist for PTSD...

Got an appt, with SS....all went well...was approved in 3-4 months....my question is...i went up from original SS amount of (hypothetical amt) $1000....to $1700 for SSDI amt....from my understanding this SSDI amount stays the same until i reach FRA...(full retirement age) at which time they drop SSDI and it converts to SS..In name only..(but keeping the higher rate)?

That being said...my second question is..when my wife reaches SS age of 66 (fra) will she get half of my amount now at $1700? or only hers.(which is lower) lets say $500.?

i think under normal conditions she would collect 100% of her SS or 50% of mine whichever is is largest?

thanks for input..

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The SSA rules are complex to say the least. Your wife's benefits may be either based upon your SS amount, or her contributions.

There are some complex combinations that may give you some options, if allowed.

For instance, can she switch from her entitled payment to yours? If so, could she collect a lesser amount from her entitlement at age 62, until she is 66, then switch to yours?

I know certain combinations are allowed, and others not. My wife does not have enough quarters in SSA, since she was under a teachers retirement program, so, she is paid

hundreds a month from it, until she is 66, and is covered as well by my SSA entitlement. If it were necessary, she could claim reduced benefits under my SSA entitlement now, since she is over 62.

Since the hypothetical $1700 is the same as your full benefit, and you were changed from SSDI to SSI at 65 or 66, your wife would then qualify for a percentage of your benefits when she reaches retirement age.

Edited by Chuck75

Thanks, i think that is my answer, soon she will be eligable for her ss , then we will see how it works out,, if i remember,,(ha ha) i will get back here and up date or let this forum know how it went,,,later,,ryd............still waiting for ptsd rating to arrive..?

The SSA rules are complex to say the least. Your wife's benefits may be either based upon your SS amount, or her contributions.

There are some complex combinations that may give you some options, if allowed.

For instance, can she switch from her entitled payment to yours? If so, could she collect a lesser amount from her entitlement at age 62, until she is 66, then switch to yours?

I know certain combinations are allowed, and others not. My wife does not have enough quarters in SSA, since she was under a teachers retirement program, so, she is paid

hundreds a month from it, until she is 66, and is covered as well by my SSA entitlement. If it were necessary, she could claim reduced benefits under my SSA entitlement now, since she is over 62.

Since the hypothetical $1700 is the same as your full benefit, and you were changed from SSDI to SSI at 65 or 66, your wife would then qualify for a percentage of your benefits when she reaches retirement age.

• HadIt.com Elder

When your wife qualifies she has the choice of hers or half of your 1700. I do not know about early retirement calculations but I would guess it would be same as how they do the rest.