VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Kicked Back F/decision To Development Phase

Rate this question

BigCountryVet

Question

Hey everyone. By now I've grown accustomed to the idea that the VAROs are full of unpleasant surprises and the claims process is as unpredictable as can possibly be. The initial development phase lasted a few short months and then went to the decision phase where it sat for a good 6 more months. I would check it daily anxiously waiting for a final shift to the notification stage. After enough reminders from fellow vets and one solid bit of information from a friend who actually adjudicates claims in the Waco VARO I cam to realize the IU claims from my phase of the wars were pushed back due to 75% of their claims processors being made to solely process Agent Orange claims. That was fine and dandy until today when I was doing my daily claim status check on ebenefits. It somehow changed back to Development Phase, square 1.

Now I'm a bit concerned. I went back to my local VA office here and they told me the rating board probably finally got it and "wanted more evidence" and then I went out to my car and called the va rep at -827-1000 who told me pretty much the same thing. The guy on the phone said they are apparently required by law to send me some letter notifying me of what exact paperwork or evidence they will need to support the claim so they can proceed with the decision/rating phase.

All this time nothing has happened so I've been thinking everything was kosher, then this stuff happens? Honestly it has me unsettled. Anybody else go through this before or currently going through this? Let me know

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wow, Development Stage, If i had a Dollar for everytime i heard that! Your right, it is unsettling and miss leading , but be calm and it will happen!!! I found if I did not like the answer i will call back and again, ETC.

SPC4,

I'm thinking it's a safe bet to assume the guys on the line only choose to issue a few general bull$ answers in order to get through the mile long line of veterans waiting on the call queue. Mind if I ask what your 100% is from or as a result of? I do understand part of the reason for my extended wait is the backlog is the agent orange claims and THAT I am far more than fine with. My wife's friend she grew up with now works for the Waco VARO processing claims and she made the mistake of coming over my mother in law's house the other day after I was feeling the usual jaded about this crap VA process. I had the claims adjudicator right in front of my face in person, it was great! Directives have come down into her office for 75% of all claims processors in the Waco claims processing office (where this girl works) to STRICTLY process agent orange claims and nothing else. The other 25% get to "focus" on EVERY OTHER claim type in the perpetual pile of claims that come through that office. Your era of men and women are long overdue for some much needed and well deserved care and attention. The point I make with this story about my wife's friend is that it seems like the contingency plan the administration has in place is laughable at absolute best if not nonexistent. I'll bet Abraham Lincoln is rolling over in his grave right now. Such a disappointment for this country.

I'm thinking it's a safe bet to assume the guys on the line only choose to issue a few general bull$ answers in order to get through the mile long line of veterans waiting on the call queue.

BigCountry..I feel your pain. Just today I called 1-800# just for kicks..most of the time I actually get some info on my IU claim this way. Well, today, I get "Gary". I knew it was going to be bad from the start because after giving him my ss# he was silent for about 4 minutes. At first I thought I was disconnected so I said "hello" again. He replied with a bored "hold on a minute". So, anyway, after he gets back to me he starts on with this speech about how my claim is in the development stage and VA will contact me if they need any additional information. I said, "well, that's odd since LAST week I was in the Rating phase and my file was actually checked out by a rater for the purpose of making a decision. Gary responds curtly with "yes, but that's a note written in my internal file and I should never have been told that."...HUH? I can't know where my file is in the claim process..why? My claims been filed sine Oct 09..it's not like i'm expecting special treartment or anything. Just want to know any updates. I tell Gary that I came by this information honestly and I also know there is a suspense date on my rating for today. He just started over, repeating the same rehearsed verbal statement about how my claim is in the developmental phase...blah..blah. I told Gary "thanks" and hung up. Than I screamed loudly into my pillow.

eagle-eye,

I know full well this is just wishful thinking, BUT.... if this [claims/c&p] administrative side of the VA got their act together by educating their telephone operators to legitimately issue answers other than the robotic, cookie cutter ones you & I have been getting then we as a veteran community just MIGHT become a little less disenchanted with this ever tainted excuse for a veteran "care" organization. If enough of us veterans and veteran supporters came to learn that the adjudicating side of the house was actually getting their stuff together rather than blowing us off daily more support might be made for issues like this. What might happen as a result? An even more streamlined process! It's self fulfilling, and the administration just sits on their thousand dollar suits delving out crap, token replies & explanations like "severe backlog" & "grossly understaffed". Hello!!!!!! Swipe those senseless, wasteful earmarks from the budget bills that don't benefit any us citizens and reappropriate those funds for better training & more staffing to get these men & women taken care of. ................................. jmo

eagle-eye,

by the way that wasn't necessarily directed toward you. I'm just feeling burned from this claims process & all the other lack of quality care to say the least without going into full detail. sorry if i came off as a total ranter. i can't work, so i stay home the entire day and this is my only social interaction with the exception of the lady at the checkout aisle at walmart or the guy behind the counter at the gas station.

I'm in the same boat. What I believe should happen, and it never will, is once it goes to the rating officer, he should not be able to lick it back to the development stage unless it will have a positive impact for the veteran. But, my guess is they kick it back to lessen the workload they have. JMHO

Papa