VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance For Portable Oxygen Shoulder Case?

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There are aftermarket portable O2 system neoprene straps that can be purchased if your original equipment strap wears out or causes irritation from friction rub or pressure. The following is a quote taken verbatim from the online advertising of a replacement strap manufacturer: "load easing flexible straps . . . remove the harsh tug your shoulder feels with normal nylon webbing straps. Our straps flex . . . whenever you move or take a step. This in effect reduces the weight you feel while wearing your portable oxygen regardless of whether it is a gas cylinder or liquid type system."

That statement alone supports the contention that using portable O2 as a prosthetic, ( i.e., medical ), appliance should be eligible for the clothing allowance because the weight of the oxygen tank as the wearer moves causes the load bearing abrasive nylon or leather straps to tug at and rub away the fabric of shirts or other clothing which tends to cause excessive and premature wear and tear under the straps...plus, it also indicates that the problem is well recognized and so widespread that it has even developed a market for the more flexible specialty straps.

Hope this helps any Veteran SC'd for COPD or other respiratory problems on O2 obtain a first or even a second clothing allowance.

Edited by militarynurse

OK, here's the latest: Last week a service officer located in California of a well known national veterans organization asked prosthetics on my behalf about portable oxygen being eligible for a second clothing allowance. The answer I was told is a qualified yes...but only if the portable O2 is used on a regular basis.

OK, here's the latest: Last week a service officer located in California of a well known national veterans organization asked prosthetics on my behalf about portable oxygen being eligible for a second clothing allowance. The answer I was told is a qualified yes...but only if the portable O2 is used on a regular basis.

I don't know of any one who was prescribed oxygen and then later didn't need it... Normally once your on it, your on it for life