VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance For Portable Oxygen Shoulder Case?

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You know as an oxygen user I never thought of this... but common sence tells me it makes sense... however when did the va ever work on common sense.

• HadIt.com Elder

Teac you got that right

Militarynurse

I agree with PR you should apply. All you would need to show if questioned would be any garment that show wear or even just your statement that you have to replace clothing that comes into contact with the strap and bag for that matter.

Good Luck

Thanks for the comments. Since the typical "D" size metal oxygen cylinder weighs about 6.5-8 pounds plus regulator and nylon carrying bag with shoulder strap you're looking at about 10 lbs. constantly rubbing on and against your clothing causing increased and premature wear and tear to it as the O2 user moves about. An oxygen cylinder in a nylon carrier or hard plastic case is NOT a soft and flexible device. The older style leather straps on those hard plastic cases may even be more damaging to clothes as they are thinner causing the pressure and friction to be even more concentrated.

Edited by militarynurse

You know as an oxygen user I never thought of this... but common sense tells me it makes sense... however when did the va ever work on common sense.

"WHAT APPLIANCES ARE INCLUDED? Appliances such as an artificial limb, rigid extremity brace, rigid spinal or cervical brace, wheelchair, crutches OR OTHER APPLIANCE prescribed for the claimant’s service-connected disability."

The relevant concept here is the VA providing: "annual clothing allowances for each qualifying prosthetic or orthopedic appliance worn or used by a veteran for a service-connected disability or disabilities that wears out or tears a distinct article of the veteran's clothing..." Question is: Could wearing a portable metal oxygen tank, which is obviously not a soft or flexible device, be considered a qualifying prosthetic "OTHER APPLIANCE"?

The generally accepted definition of "prosthetic appliance" is "an artificial device to replace or augment a missing or impaired part of the body" so to that extent given that portable O2 is intended to "replace or augment a missing or impaired" lung...which is obviously a body part, it would appear that portable 02 meets the definition of a "qualifying prosthetic" appliance.

Maybe the above can help those Vets using portable oxygen for COPD, emphysema, mesothelioma or some other respiratory impairment get an initial clothing allowance or even a second clothing allowance.

Comments welcome.

btw: A similar rationale may be made for certain ostomy prosthetic devices.

Edited by militarynurse

WHO IS ENTITLED TO AN ANNUAL CLOTHING ALLOWANCE? Veterans, who because of a service-connected disability, wear or use a prosthetic or orthopedic appliance (including a wheelchair) which tends to wear out or tear clothing, and veterans, who because of a service-connected skin condition use a medication that causes irreparable damage to outer garments, are eligible for payment of an annual clothing allowance. To qualify for annual payment, eligibility must be established as of August 1 of the year for which payment is claimed. If you have not submitted a claim for disability compensation, VA Form 21-526 must be completed and sent to the VA Regional Office nearest your home. You can also apply for disability compensation on our website at http://www.vba.va.gov.

WHAT APPLIANCES ARE INCLUDED? Appliances such as an artificial limb, rigid extremity brace, rigid spinal or cervical brace, wheelchair, crutches or other appliance prescribed for the claimant's service-connected disability. Soft and flexible devices, such as an elastic stocking are not included.

WHAT MEDICATIONS ARE INCLUDED?

Any medication, prescribed by a physician for a service-connected skin condition, that causes permanent stains or otherwise damages the veteran's outer garments.

WHERE TO FILE A CLAIM?

If you have previously submitted a claim for disability compensation, send this application (VA Form 10-8678) to the Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Service (121), at your local VA Medical Center. If you have not made application for disability compensation, send that form (VA Form 21-526) to the VA regional office nearest your home.

The above is the requirement that came right off the form for request for a clothing allowance. There is also a clothing allowance handbook, and I do not remember seeing anything there for Oxygen tanks, but I would recommend you still fill one out, send it in with an explanation why or how it damages your clothing, and maybe they can award it.