Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unemployment

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

Can I file for Unemployment if I am retired military and rated and receive compensation for 100% sc, I filed for SSD however no word back yet? Live in GA...

vet2010

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure but part of unemployment is looking for work. It is ok for disabled to look for work so may be ok. I would want to hear from someone who is an expert before making a move like that.

• HadIt.com Elder

My opinion would be "yes" provided you are not TDIU, w/the VA. You could end up paying it back, if awarded SSDI, but I'm not sure on that. When you sign up for unemployment you affirm that you are actively looking for and able to work. jmo

pr

Can I file for Unemployment if I am retired military and rated and receive compensation for 100% sc, I filed for SSD however no word back yet? Live in GA...

vet2010

Edited by Philip Rogers

In most states an application for ssdi would make you disquafied for Unemployment, It definitely does in most state I know of. The 1st qualifing requirement for Uneployment Ins is that you be able and available for work, and and application for ssdi would require a fact finding on able and available requirement, sence an applicatoin for SSDI you are claiming unable to work. I have been working in the feild for 20 years, but check with your state.

Your retirement only counts against UI if it is in the base period, your VA disability pay does not count here, but check with your state on this to as every state is slightly different.