VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nursing Home Or Extended Care Facilities

Rate this question

meggi

Question

Good afternoon all, I have again a question that maybe someone has an answer to. I am an 80 % disabled vet. I am a widower and live alone. Not that I plan on needing it, but, if I should need nursing home or extended care or what ever, will the VA provide it, or provide it at a cost?

I live in Rochester, NY and the nearest VA hospital is in BUffalo, NY. We have a very good VA clinic in Roshester though. I understand that they can place you in a local nursing home. How is this determined, I would not really want to go to Buffalo, everyone I know lives in ROchester.

If placed in a local nursing home, will it be a nice one or, I hate to use the word, a cheap dump? Do I have any say in the matter or does my health care proxy have any say?

I hope I will never need this "service" or anyone else, but it is good to know all the facts, especially when I do not have insurance that covers extended care facilities.

Thanks all for any light you can shed on this. I am sure there are others in the same boat.

Tom

USN SS-566 & 568

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that you can count on some type of assistance if you need it. Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the regulation says that if you are at least a 70% disabled vet the VA has to provide nursing home care. I don't know if that means they will put you up in a private home and pay the bill or make room for you at the VAMC. You might want someone to have your POA so that they can fight for you at that point. You know the VA likes to say "NO" as a first response.

Guest jstacy

Sub Sailor, The VA has Hospitals that they are using as extended care facilities but with the Budget shortfalls, They are moving Veterans to state Run Veterans centers. It would be wise to check out your states veterans benefits and see what the requirements are for entering one of these facilities.

There are not allot of WW 2 submariners left but I want to say one thing to you. Thanks for your service. Volunteering for that duty in a time of unrestricted warefare was one of the bravest things a person couuld do. From the cramped quarters taking depth charges to sinking of enemy ships took allot of guts.