Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are We Better Off Without So's?

Rate this question

KennyJ

Question

I have come to position of asking myself what good are SO's. No doubt there are some good ones but the bad overwhelm the good by such a wide margin that it is a shame. Called my DAV SO Wednesday asked about my claims and Appeals. Filed new secondary claims and reopened claims in February of this year. She told me that Appeals could take up to 2 to 3 years, which I knew this, but then she said the new claims and reopened claims could take the same length of time before I would hear anything on them also. I thought that I heard somewhere that new claims are usually acted upon within a year so I called the 800# and the Rep told me that new and re opened claims are usually responded to within 8 months. I don,t really know who is right , that is why I turn to the knowledgeable people here. Another thing why everytime you call your SO they say they were just looking at your file?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

Jay --

Not true about vets not having a national voice: DAV has a shining bright building and are major players on the Hill and the Administration. If the Admiistration or Congress want something that DAV opposes, it doesn't go anywhere; and if DAV wants something that other SO's oppodr (like atty's in the RO), Corressess goes with DAV.

PVA is also a major player and has a big staff that deals exclusively with federal issues. Both DAV and PVA have lots of lawyers that practice beore the court, and can control policy that way, too.

Alex

Jay --

Not true about vets not having a national voice: DAV has a shining bright building and are major players on the Hill and the Administration. If the Admiistration or Congress want something that DAV opposes, it doesn't go anywhere; and if DAV wants something that other SO's oppodr (like atty's in the RO), Corressess goes with DAV.

PVA is also a major player and has a big staff that deals exclusively with federal issues. Both DAV and PVA have lots of lawyers that practice beore the court, and can control policy that way, too.

Alex

Alex,

If this is true then why do we have so MANY vets being screwed by RO's that refuse to follow regulations? Why hasn't the DAV taken a strong stance against the new PTSD commission? Why do veterans have less rights then enemies of the state? Why are 250K+ veterans homeless when they should be receiving high levels of compensation? Why did more people die from PTSD after 'nam then died fighting the war itself? The DAV does NOTHING to help veterans on a national level...in fact, they do a great disservice by taking single claims. The DAV helps the VA by keeping these gross violations on a singular level.....the VA counts on these SO's to abuse the system to deny and low-ball claims.

I'm sorry, but I feel SO's are among the lowest forms of life on the planet...it is my belief that they work with the VA against veterans rather then with.

• HadIt.com Elder

The DAV and other Service Organizations have vested interests that do not always help Veterans. Congress is afraid of the DAV because of the millions who belong but its a paper tiger as the DAV does not have that many active members just a lot on the rolls.

I have come to position of asking myself what good are SO's. No doubt there are some good ones but the bad overwhelm the good by such a wide margin that it is a shame. Called my DAV SO Wednesday asked about my claims and Appeals. Filed new secondary claims and reopened claims in February of this year. She told me that Appeals could take up to 2 to 3 years, which I knew this, but then she said the new claims and reopened claims could take the same length of time before I would hear anything on them also. I thought that I heard somewhere that new claims are usually acted upon within a year so I called the 800# and the Rep told me that new and re opened claims are usually responded to within 8 months. I don,t really know who is right , that is why I turn to the knowledgeable people here. Another thing why everytime you call your SO they say they were just looking at your file?

I think Alex is as pro-vet as you will find, and I have had good results with PVA SO's. I have helped dozens of vets myself in helping to write claims. I have NEVER had good results with the VFW, American Legion or the DAV. The same DAV SO has had an office in the VARO for over 20 years, I don't know what he does, but he certainly isn't as aquainted with VA Regs' as he should be. Once I helped a lady with a DIC claim, the VARO was DEMANDING that she MUST send proof that her husband's death was related to his service-connected conditions. The Attending Death Physician had sent a statement that his death was caused by coronary artery disease and he also put on the Death Certificate that his death was caused by a. acute myocardial infarction b. coronary atherosclerosis. He was on 3 way calling with me and my Congressional Aide and he was telling us that the VA was correct that she MUST send MORE evidence to the VA. I told the DAV SO that the veteran had been 100% P&T service-connected for 12 years. He said that did not make ANY difference and he had my Congressional Aide convinced that he was right! I was so mad I could hardly read the regulation to them that states after 10 years of 100% s/c P&T, DIC is paid for death from any cause. I told him it was a disgrace for him and the VA to put this grieving widow through this non-sense. He did agree that the regulation I quoted would apply in this case, but he NEVER apologized. ALL THE SO'S NEED TO BE IN A SEPARATE OFFICE AND AWAY FROM THE VARO, NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY SAYS ABOUT NON-ADVERSARIAL---------IT'S US AGAINST THEM IN MY ALMOST EVERY EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Jesse

What bothers me is that some poor grief stricken widow might just accept the ignorant opionion of some VSO and give up her claim to DIC. Our spouses need to know the regulations as well or better than we do. Berta should give a seminar on this. I was a SO for my local American Legion post for a while and I found that the spouses of dead vets just knew nothing about their rights. They expected nothing and that is what they usually got.

John; That's why I have a Notebook with every VA Decision, a copy of every VA Regulation concerning DIC, ChampVa and Burial Benefits listed. I've even written down the steps my wife should take one by one and the phone numbers for everyone she will need to contact. I had a friend who recently went to work for Liberty Life Insurance Company, he called and asked if he could come over with his Boss Instructor who was helping him learn the ropes to "closing a deal". I said sure and was ready. After he went through all his selling techniques, I pulled out my "Notebook". I had from the highest to the lowest Life Policy in order with up to date forms needed to fill out, numbers to call and fax, and addresses to send forms etc. All the VA and Postal OWCP was in order also. This guy shook his head and said he had NEVER seen anything so organized...I told him that I had learned this from dealing with the non-adversarial Veterans Administration. I figure with all my health problems, this was the least I could do, so there would be no misunderstanding with the Life Insurance Companies, the VA or anyone else!