• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obama Draws Line On Possible Cuts To Veterans Programs. New York Times

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Obama Draws Line On Possible Cuts To Veterans Programs. New York Times

President Obama, in a “somber” speech at the American Legion national convention, “vowed…that he would not allow cuts in programs for veterans as Congress and the administration look for ways to balance the budget.” The Times adds that the President “repeated his assertion of earlier this summer that after a decade of war, it was time to turn the country’s attention to domestic prosperity. ‘It’s time to focus on nation-building here at home,’ Mr. Obama told 6,000 members of the country’s largest veterans group, who clapped politely.” AP ”Obama said the Americans who have worn the uniform since Sept. 11 have put the nation in a position of strength and have earned their place among the greatest of generations. ‘Every day for the past 10 years, these men and women have succeeded together as one American team,’ Obama said.” The AP says that “since taking office, Obama has set a course for drawing down both wars after a decade of continuous conflict,” and he “spoke of ending, not of winning, the Afghanistan war. ‘As our mission transitions from combat to support, Afghans will take responsibility for their own security, and the longest war in American history will come to a responsible end,’ he said.”

Source: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/09/01/top-10-veterans-stories-40/

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Please stick to how this speech affects Veterans and keep politics Democrats and Republicans out of this discussion.

As a Veteran I really would like to see the VA not look at cutting programs that work but to try and get rid of waste. Any thing that is not affective should be looked at and the money used in programs that are working.

I would also like to see the VA bonus program scrapped and a hard look at delays and waits and also the competency issue.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I would also like to see the VA bonus program scrapped and a hard look at delays and waits and also the competency issue.

With all due respect, what do you propose, bringing back the draft?

How quickly we forget. I can remember back to the 90s and early 2000s when recruiting offices could not fill their allocated slots. Hence, the incentive program.

With all due respect, what do you propose, bringing back the draft?

How quickly we forget. I can remember back to the 90s and early 2000s when recruiting offices could not fill their allocated slots.

Hence, the incentive program.

Stilt,

Pete53's reply relates to "the VA bonus program" which has nothing to do

with DOD or any "incentive program" for recruitment purposes.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Stilt,

Pete53's reply relates to "the VA bonus program" which has nothing to do

with DOD or any "incentive program" for recruitment purposes.

My apoogy for not reading the comment more closely. I apologize Pete53.

• HadIt.com Elder

If unemployment is at 9% in September 2012 I don't think Obama will be around in 2013 to make good on his promise to us vets. Budget hawks will be helping us to stand on our own feet even if we don't have any feet. This is just reality. Old right wingers from American Legion may not like Obama but they don't represent average vet either.