VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suspected Overpay Or Pay Error

Rate this question

jattoffresno

Question

Hello Fellow Veterans,

I am new to this forum, and I ask therefore that you momentarily indulge any errors that might materialize.

I have been on virtually uninterrupted disability compensation (100%) since 1969 due to injuries received

in Vietnam while in combat. I use the word "virtually" judiciously since it was interrupted in error by the VA

about a year ago for a period of about a month before it was resolved, i.e., the va claimed that I had been

overpaid an enormous amount of money since I had allegedly failed to respond to a written questionnaire

addressing my current mailing status-- a request that I never received. In any event, with the assistance of

the OIG, the matter was quickly resolved in my favor.

Insofar as the instant problem is concerned, it is essentially thus: while I was reviewing my bank statements

today, 8.9.11, I noticed that there had been deposited into my account an amount of $716.00 on 23 August, 2011.

The notation on my bank statement was identical to my normal monthly deposit, to wit:

US Treasury 310 DES: xxVA BENEF ID: (my ss number) 00 62 INDN: (my name).

The amount, as mentioned supra, was for $716.00. The problem is that I have no idea what this deposit

is related to or why it was deposited to my account, and in light of the aforementioned faux pas by the

VA, I certainly do not want any time to pass without its resolution.

I have tried telephoning the VA at 800-827-1000, but all I receive is a menu of options, none of which

address my current problem and offering no human with whom to speak. I have tried googling the

internet under the general heading of "reporting suspected overpayment" and its assorted variations,

and I again have drawn a blank.

The only option that I have uncovered which might offer a resolution is the telephone number of

The Inspector General's office, but this appears to address a third party reporting the deliberate fraud

of another.

MY question then is this: does ANYONE know how to contact the VA by telephone and either

question the provenance of an electronic deposit or alternatively report an overpayment so that

it can be returned to the proper authority/department?

I very much appreciate your patience and indulgence with this fumbling correspondence.

Thank you.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If I were you I would just put the money in an interest gathering accout and wait for them to ask for it. It is not your fault they paid you this money. If they made a mistake you will hear about it.

Dear John999,

I trust that this finds you well and in good spirits.

Your suggestion is a good one, and in point of fact, I had already separated

that amount from my general funds against the day when it would/might be

requested. However, during the interim, I would very much like to contact

someone within the appropriate agency/department and apprise them of this

anomaly, hopefully stopping any further spurious deposits.

I sincerely appreciate your kind and prompt response.

Thank you

That is the amount for the clothing allowance this year.

Did you apply for the clothing allowance? Do you have to wear braces? Use a wheelchair? Use any creams or meds that stain clothing? Your deposit was on the same day most of us who are static received payment, meaning we don't have to apply every year, we are permanently scheduled to receive it.

That is the amount for the clothing allowance this year.

Did you apply for the clothing allowance? Do you have to wear braces? Use a wheelchair? Use any creams or meds that stain clothing? Your deposit was on the same day most of us who are static received payment, meaning we don't have to apply every year, we are permanently scheduled to receive it.

DITTO

Fellow Vets,

I feel like an idiot! Yes, the nature of my injuries were in part due to the loss of

both legs from a hand grenade. I had totally forgotten about the annual "clothing

allowance" that I receive.

Please, please, accept my most humble and abject apologies for intruding

and foolishly taking up your very valuable time, and thank you so very much

for your kind and courteous help.

You have a wonderful site herein, and from my readings provide an

incalculably valuable service to the veteran community.