VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Surgery Was A Success

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am currently SC at 100% P&T for PTSD, 60% CAD and 10% for hypertension, in June my PCP put me on oxygen this was shortly after a massive heart attack in April, I then spent from 10 June - 28 June in ICU for Congestive Heart failure, my wife got my PCP to get us a light weight wheel chair that she could handle me easier than fighting with the huge power chair they issued me back in Sep 2003.

Should I file for the Biventricular pacemaker/defib that was put in on Wed due to my ejection fraction of being 10%, they are hoping it will increase my ejection fraction over the next few months, since my wife basically does everything for me, meds, driving, showering should I file for A&A? The doors to the bathrooms need to be widened for the wheel chairs which program covers that? I can't walk more than 50 feet any longer the docs can't or won't give me a time frame just that I am "end stage congestive heart failure" any ideas will be appreciated, so I can point my wife in the right directions.

The night they did it Wed I was in quite a bit of pain my wife told them the percocet wasn't touching this pain, the nurse came in with demorol it wasn't but a few seconds later I was totally loopy and talking all kinds of BS Dori, my brother and the nurse were all cracking up, I slept like a baby. The rep from Medtronic came by about 8 and waved a device over my chest and down loaded the data it has collected since the insertion just to see that it was firing on all cylinders, they told me that they did not do the big test where they stop your heart to see if the defib works right or not but that the pacemaker function was doing it right but stopping my heart and hoping it would restart just didn't make a lot of sense to anyone, works for me with my luck it wouldn't have restarted.

My wife said the doctor told her I can't swim or take a bath to get the incision soaking wet and not to over use my left arm for the next few weeks 2-3 so the leads will have a chance to start having tissue grow around them to hold them in place. Now I can't even carry in the bread lol life is rough and I have a wife that I don't deserve she treats me so well and I know I am a pain in the azz

Hopefully now with this new gizmo I will be able to offer my 2 cents here for years to come a few months ago I wouldn't have bet any amount of money I would live to Xmas, now I am wiling to make that bet

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Lets hope you make it to more then ONE Christmas in the future !

You should apply for the highest possible level of A & A or SMC you can get!

Testvet,

Happy to hear that your surgery was sucessful. Hopefull that you will regain your strength and remain with us for a long time. May GOD bless and watch over you and your wonderful wife.

Just some minor rambling ...

With a 10% ejection fraction, you shoulda/coulda applied for an increase for your CAD because an EF of 10% is low, really low. However, that claim for increase likely would not result in any increased compensation at this time because I presume you already are at the SMC-s level. Because you had a pacemaker installed earlier this week, there is a statutory 100% for two months, followed by a reduction to whatever's appropriate. Again, there would not appear to be increased compensation at this time. Nonetheless, although you likely would not receive any additional compensation, I encourage you to file because doing so would result in a better claims history that you might need, oh let's say, 5 years from now.

You can apply for Aid and Attendance. The criteria for A&A are at 3.352(a) http://www.benefits....ART3/S3_352.DOC . While there is no absolute prohibition AFAIK against granting A&A on a temporary basis (if your cardiac symptoms do improve), it is not all that common - usually A&A is a permanent basis. But, you can try ....

As for door widening ... at this moment, it would appear that you qualify only for the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) http://www.prostheti...a.gov/HISA2.asp program. You apply for HISA at your local VAMC Prosthetics Department.

There are other VA home improvement programs, administered through the VARO and the Home Loan Department http://www.benefits....meloans/sah.asp . At this moment, it does not appear that you meet the criteria for either of the SAH programs.

All the programs require time, lots of it. In the short term, how about offset hinges http://www.dynamic-l...or-hinge/#clear ? These effectively "widen" a doorway by 2 inches, and may be just the amount you need. You can buy them on-line, or usually locally at a medical supply store.

Merry Christmas.

I am currently SC at 100% P&T for PTSD, 60% CAD and 10% for hypertension, in June my PCP put me on oxygen this was shortly after a massive heart attack in April, I then spent from 10 June - 28 June in ICU for Congestive Heart failure, my wife got my PCP to get us a light weight wheel chair that she could handle me easier than fighting with the huge power chair they issued me back in Sep 2003.

Should I file for the Biventricular pacemaker/defib that was put in on Wed due to my ejection fraction of being 10%, they are hoping it will increase my ejection fraction over the next few months, since my wife basically does everything for me, meds, driving, showering should I file for A&A? The doors to the bathrooms need to be widened for the wheel chairs which program covers that? I can't walk more than 50 feet any longer the docs can't or won't give me a time frame just that I am "end stage congestive heart failure" any ideas will be appreciated, so I can point my wife in the right directions.

The night they did it Wed I was in quite a bit of pain my wife told them the percocet wasn't touching this pain, the nurse came in with demorol it wasn't but a few seconds later I was totally loopy and talking all kinds of BS Dori, my brother and the nurse were all cracking up, I slept like a baby. The rep from Medtronic came by about 8 and waved a device over my chest and down loaded the data it has collected since the insertion just to see that it was firing on all cylinders, they told me that they did not do the big test where they stop your heart to see if the defib works right or not but that the pacemaker function was doing it right but stopping my heart and hoping it would restart just didn't make a lot of sense to anyone, works for me with my luck it wouldn't have restarted.

My wife said the doctor told her I can't swim or take a bath to get the incision soaking wet and not to over use my left arm for the next few weeks 2-3 so the leads will have a chance to start having tissue grow around them to hold them in place. Now I can't even carry in the bread lol life is rough and I have a wife that I don't deserve she treats me so well and I know I am a pain in the azz

Hopefully now with this new gizmo I will be able to offer my 2 cents here for years to come a few months ago I wouldn't have bet any amount of money I would live to Xmas, now I am wiling to make that bet

test,

As the VBA questions have been answered I will just get personal.

So glad for you and your wife that this part is now over.

I'm sure you already feel a bit better and as more time passes you

should start getting a little strength back - you are tenacious and I know you will.

I don't mean you'll be signing up for triathlons, but you will be able to do much more for

yourself.

Like keeping your arms up over your head to wash your hair - (if you still have some - lol)

and most all of your self care that is needed.

I know that EF percentage will improve.

Keep hanging in there.

XO