VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Anyone Tell Me What My Rating Should Be?

Rate this question

marine26

Question

My original diagnosis of PTSD was in July 2010 with a score of 60/85 on the PCL and my original GAF score was 45. Since I got out of the military in 4/2010 I have been unable to obtain unemployment due to the severity of my symptoms and they have since, gotten worse. I am currently on Trazodone for Depression, Panic Disorder, and to help get me asleep; Prazosin for nightmares; and BusPar for Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

C&P Exam

*Section 1

1. Diagnostic Summary

Does the veteran have a diagnosis of PTSD that conforms to DSM-IV criteria based on todays evaluation? YES

2.Current Diagnosis

Axis I: 309.81 PTSD (Chronic)

Comments: The veteran was exposed to a wide range of traumatic stressors. He struggled with social/occupational deficits since exposure, and he has sought treatment for such. The examiner is able to opine the veteran suffers from PTSD that is most likely (more than 50/50 probability) caused by or a result of military service.

Axis II: 799.9 diagnosis deferred

Axis IV: Psychosocial and environmental problems to include: Social, Familial, Employment, Financial.

Axis V: GAF 43

3.Occupational and social impairment

Total occupational and social impairment Yes

*Section 2: Clinical findings

1. File review: Yes

2. History:

a. Revelant Social/ Marital/ Family history: Married in 2008, but currently estranged relationship with wife.

b. Revelant Occupational and Educational History: last employed 2010(USMC). Ateempted to obtain employment at call center, but was unable to tolerate level of activity around him.

c. Revelant Medical history: prescribed psychtrophic medication by primary care provider. Attempted to access treatment, but his efforts have been largely unsuccessful or largely impeded. primary care provider recently managed referral to a counselor for individual therapy.

3. Stressors: (3)

Do these stressors meet criterion A: Yes

4. PTSD diagnostic criteria:

Criterion a: Both

Criterion b: 5 of 5

Criterion c: 5 of 7

Criterion d: 5 of 5

Criterion e: Symptoms lasted more then a month (Yes)

Criterion f: symptoms decribed cause clinically signifigant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (Yes)

5. Symptoms

a. depressed mood

b. anxiety

c. suspiciousness

d. chronic sleep impairment

e. flattened effect

f. disturbances of motivation and mood

g. difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

h. difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or work like setting

i. impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence

6. Competency

Veteran is capable of handling own financial affairs.

7. Remarks

Veterans face was haggard and careworn. He presented as intense, somewhat paranoid, and wracked with anxiety consistent with formidable PTSD.

This is the report I recieved from my C&P exam, and would like to know what people think of the results? What percentage do you think I will recieve based on my results?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I concur and feel you have been given good advice. I think you should expect from 50 to 100 percent. Many RO's have a history of "lowballing" and awarding 30%, and make you fight for the rest. A coveted 100% schedular rating, tho you seem to meet at least some of the criteria for it, is tough.

Your C and P exam did not really mention a lot of symptoms, especially in occupational and social impairment. Yes, you apparently not working, but why? Is that because of SC conditions? While the answer may be obvious to us, the Va often does not want to "connect the dots", and wants the doc to opine that the Veteran is not working most likely to SC conditions.

Even tho I have a high degree of respect for both Pete and PR's opinion, I dont subscribe to the "school" that suggests you "wait" applying for other benefits until your present decision is complete. While I wont dispute that applying for other benefits MAY make your claim take longer, so may Hurricane Katrina, Nehmer Clamis, Iraq Vets put ahead of VN Vets, as well as a whole host of other things. I think delaying filing for your benefits because you think it will slow down your claim is throwing out the Baby and keeping the bath water. There is probably an equal chance the opposite isalso true. In other words your claim may have "stagnated", stuck somewhere for an unknown reason. Then, you put in for other benefits, and your claim has to be dug out of the bottom of the pile to be merged with the "new" claim you put in for. Then, your claim gets put on the top of the pile and processed. Of course, it is certainly possible that, as was stated, filing a new claim before the last one is completed could put the whole thing back in development. To me, waiting to file a claim, is like a half back running with the ball the wrong way. The opposing team will let you..score for them. This happens occasionally in high school or lower football, but almost never in the NFL. The running back seems to know which goal to run to in the NFL. I understand some of those running backs can run the wrong way for a few steps..hopefully to make up that distance later. But I try to keep my eye on the goal, and this does not include running the wrong way. In a similar manner, the goal at the Va is to file each claim as early as possible for the best effective date. Since I think "anything" can be used as an excuse to slow your claim down, I am not going to "blame" filing another claim, but recognize, it is indeed possible that happens. I plan on filing for each condition at my earliest possible time, to get the earliest possible date..independent of whether or not I have a pending claim.

I will add that if you did apply for benefits, while your claim was being rated for another condition, it is possible or even likely that you "preserve" your effective date, and do not alter the time it took for your decision in any way. In other words, the possibilities are 1) It makes no difference..your claim will be processed when it is processed either way. 2) It slows your claim down and 3) It speeds it up. In at least 2 out of the 3 possibilities, you are better off applying ASAP. I will take 2/3 odds anyday.

Edited by broncovet

I forgot to mention the real possibility Berta suggested..that you get a decision with TDIU being deferred. This would likely mean the length of time until your decision will be unaffected by whether or not you file for more benefits.

It sounds like you deserve 100%, but most of us that have 100% wound up fighting for that for years before we got it.

Edited by broncovet

Take the advise and wait since you are so close. I made the mistake of applying for tdiu when my claim was at rating. So far, it has only cost me an additional year of waiting. VA confirmed that my filed was pulled and sent back to development. Was also told that the returning vets from Iraq basically had priority over my years of waiting. Hope your case results in a better decision. Regardless of the decision that only you can make, of course with the expert advise from contributors, be patient; time is in your favor. I hope you get the necessary treatment that you need and the respect for your service. Thanks for your service.

Bro' Gate

Well I want to say thanks to everyone whom gave me advice. I havent recieved mt rating letter in the mail yet, but I checked ebenefits' letter generator and it states I am at 100%. From my understanding, that is updated as soon as a rating is released so things look good. Thanks again to all!