Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For Guidance

Rate this question

RuskiLinguist

Question

So, The VA says I am 100% SC disabled due to PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder and Alcohol Abuse. I am 20% SC because of my stomach problems, and another 10% because of my SC back problems. I am grateful to so many on this site for helping to make that a reality.

Today I return to you asking what I should do to secure my SSDI benefits. They say that the "medical evidence shows that I can perform simple, repetitive tasks" and am therefore not disabled according to their definition. The SSDI has never sent me to see a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist. The only medical opinion on record is from a VA Psychiatrist stating that my mental conditions "preclude me from gainful employment.

How do I resolve this obvious disagreement between 2 federal organizations working for the same government that I served for so many years?

Respectfully,

Your Ruski Linguist

"I learned Russian so you wouldn't have to"

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

SSA gave you a common denial and answer. You will need to appeal the SSA decision. The ruling of one is not binding on the other, unfortunately.

However, the VA medical opinion that you cannot be gainfully employed should prevail in the SSA appeal, since there is evidently no other valid medical opinion.

As soon as possible you should request and get your hands on a full copy of your SSA claim file. My local SSA office was able to provide a digital copy of my file on a CD.

You also might want to think about legal representation.

• HadIt.com Elder

So, The VA says I am 100% SC disabled due to PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder and Alcohol Abuse. I am 20% SC because of my stomach problems, and another 10% because of my SC back problems. I am grateful to so many on this site for helping to make that a reality.

Today I return to you asking what I should do to secure my SSDI benefits. They say that the "medical evidence shows that I can perform simple, repetitive tasks" and am therefore not disabled according to their definition. The SSDI has never sent me to see a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist. The only medical opinion on record is from a VA Psychiatrist stating that my mental conditions "preclude me from gainful employment.

How do I resolve this obvious disagreement between 2 federal organizations working for the same government that I served for so many years?

Respectfully,

Your Ruski Linguist

"I learned Russian so you wouldn't have to"

Get an attorney, SSDI denies 60 percent of all claims at first so ask for reconsideration and bring in an attorney who specializes in SSDI.

Dont lose your date by not doing this.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Did you fill out the disability Functional Reports?

Your Adult one's? 12 pages

Also Third Party Ones done by someone other? 8 pages

The Section of Disability Determinations is the one's who send these our to you. You can fax these back, or send them in the postage paid envelopes (2) they send to you with the forms, and all the instructions. You have 14 days to return these forms.

The letter states: We are the office that makes disability decisions for the Social Security Administration. We are writing to tell you that we are reviewing your disability claim.

To be eligible for disability benefits, you must have medical condition (s) that:

keeps you from doing any type of work, and

has lasted or is expected to last for at least 12 months in a row or result in death.........

The physician fills out other forms he/she sends in themselves...also functional reports but these are different one's here you and another fill out. I got copies of my functional reports from the physician who completed my disability exam too. Don't be afraid to ask the one who does yours too

These are pages I recently helped another vet with.

Mine were a lesser amount when I filed in 03. Don't remember dual functional reports for me back then??

Make sure you keep copies of EVERYTHING you send in. To anyone, or any agency ALL THE TIME!! :blush: