VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Undiagnosed Illness

Rate this question

JT24usn

Question

I have been having low readings in my labs for red blood cell count. They, the va, say that I'm anemic. Problem is, I also have a lot of iron in my liver. How can I be anemic and have high iron count? Doctors say I have low iron in my blood circulating, but the red blood cells that go through the liver are breaking down and storing the iron...AKA they don't seem to know? They thought my liver was NAFLD, but live biopsy came back normal, just loaded with iron. Then they did a genetic test for hemachromatosis, negative. So in the mean time, they are doing phlebotomies while the Drs try and figure my liver out. Now the problem is I keep passing out or get shaky seety and nauseous after the draw. So, my question is they don't know sounds like possible undiagnosed. Circulatory is one of the new issues. I was in Bahrain and je bel Ali for four and half mos. Talked to other guys who were over there and they too have high iron inliver. Just some thoughts. Also my ALT readings are twice my AST ( liver readings). Both are high

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So after doing some research, i am thinking about filing for blood disoreders (unknown etiology) to include iron overload. I just had a followup with my doctor (hematologist) who decided it is still good to keep the phlebotomies up, but still doesn't have a clued what is causing the iron overload. All genetic tests have come back negative. He is now thinking it is environmental. Is this worth filing a claim? I was in the gulf (bahrain X3) and (Jebel Ali X3) from December 2000 to May 2001. Ferretin levels were around 700 and are now around 270's. Still set up for monthly phlebotomies until January 2012.

I can't see why you couldn't file, that is if you had abnormal iron and ferretin levels while in service. My son was granted 100% from cancer that was filed by unknown etiology.

You say your Dr said to keep up with phlebotomies until January. He's probably trying to get you down to a certain ferretin level then see how long it'll take to rise. Then, more than likely he'll put you on a maintenance schedule in which you'll have a phlebotomy every so often. That's what they did for me. I have a phlebotomy every 6 weeks which is about the right time until my iron or ferretin levels start rising again. I also have to have this done for the rest of my life. In no means am I implying that's what is going to happen to you, but just be aware that it could. The studies I've read in the past 20 years since I was dx showed the only way Hemochromatosis could be stopped is if it is self induced, such as iron pills. Hemochromatosis is more prominent with people with a defective Chromazone, usually at birth. I will keep an eye out on any studies done concerning environmental issues causing high iron levels and let you know.

Coot

Cooter

Thanks on keeping an eye ourt for this. I can't prove that the ferritin levels were high in the service, but since they can't prove it was genetic And are unsure of it's cause, I would say an undiagnosed illness could factor in. I thought that was the whole premise if undiagnosed illness... Unsure of origin? Sorry to hear about your son, but glad the va stepped up and is takin care if it.

I am aware I will be getting the phlebotomies from Herr on out, but if this is what will eventually get me then I want it covered fort wife. Just trying to care for those....

From what I am reading on time limits on gulf. The condition has to continue for six months. Or longer. I have been complaining of pains on my side and fatigue and pains for the last ten years. A CBC won't show the ferrel levels will it?

I read 1 BVA case where a vet was granted SC for Hemochromatosis due to an injury that aggravated his Hemo....... to high levels.

I would defiantly file for it since you had residuals right after service. Iron overload doesn't show up overnight. Depending on the amount of Ferritin a person has, coincides with the amount of time it takes to progress. With the levels of Ferritin you had, I would say you had it during service. A good example is my son concerning his cancer. Even tho he was dx a few years after service his type of cancer takes 5 years to show up on any tests. In his case, the 5 years put him back to time during service. A good Hematologist might be able to pinpoint the amount time it took your Ferritin to reach it's current level.

A good thing to remember is..."The amount of Ferritin stored is the amount of iron stored"....

As far as the CBC test showing Ferritin levels, it should. I do know it shows your Hemoglobin and Hematocrit levels which is part of testing for iron storage. The ideal blood test for Ferritin/iron levels is called TIBC (Total Iron Binding Capacity).

Medical studies show the normal range for males is 30-300...

Good Luck with your claim. Keep me posted during your journey on this cause this is going to be very interesting to me.

If you have anymore questions about this, you can PM me anytime. I will be happy to help you out any way I can.

Coot

Cooter, the C&P went well. Doctor said the iron overload was service connected. The question he said now was whether it was due to svc or my surgeries and digestive problems. Again he said regardless it is service connected. Do you have any of those BVA claim for hemachromatosis secondary to surgery?

Great news!!!!...Was your C&P examiner a hematologist? What did he/she say to make him believe it was SC? I've been looking for a reason to connect mine to the service for years, so anything he said to you could very well help me. Are you still getting the phlebotomies?

As far as any BVA claims go for Hemo..... there's only a couple I found, and none was for secondary to surgery, that I remember. The only one I found that was granted SC was for aggravation to an injury. Didn't mention anything of surgery. I'll keep searching using different wordings and see what I come up with. I'll defiantly let you know what I find.

What kind of surgeries and digestive problems did you have?

On an earlier post you mention that you seen a Hematologist for it. Was he a civilian doc or VA?

It would help you greatly if he/she could back up the examiners findings with an IMO?IME..

KEEP IN MIND...for claim purposes, you have to some extent, liver damage.

Please keep me updated.

Coot