VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Are C&p Exams Good For?

Rate this question

etcm

Question

Sorry if this is redundant to previous topics, but here goes.

I filed to increase 0% and 10% ratings (as well as a CUE from 1996) in Apr2010 and had C&P exams inAUG2010 with results in AUG2010. I took copies of to this to the VARO in mid Sep 2010 and later dates when they kept asking me IF I ever went to one of the two exams. Here it is almost OCT 2011 and I am still in "development" due to my VARO being slow. As I approach a day that I hope my file will be picked up, will my C&P exams be "expired", and need new C&P exams (with an additional 1-6 month wait)?

Some have said yes, some have said probably, and I do not know why they cannot just get it done with - it is their delays that have left my claim languishing for so long........

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA RO's like to have a C&P as well as other medical "evidence" that is "current" (CYA if nothing else!). (Less than one year old is "current".) Is it absolutely necessary?

Well, not exactly, if there is evidence of continuing treatment in the veteran's files that more or less shows that the claimed & C&P'd condition is being currently treated.

In addition, the type of continuing treatment tends to show the severity of the condition, if an RO is smart enough to know this or consults medical personnel.

A question about a past C&P can easily occur, since many do not meet the current requirements. (That's a whole subject by itself!)

If the VA wants an updated C&P for something older than 12 months to

evaluate the current level of disability, then yes they may schedule an additional

C&P exam or if current medical evidence includes the information then VA may use that.

Many times in doing this, evaluation percentages will be provided in staged ratings.

JMHO

Thanks for the responses. I have an IRIS request to the VARO for the same question, plus I asked IF they could initiate a new one now. I am not holding my breath for a response to that. I will post their response if they send one. With the great length of claims now, especially those over 1-year old I am surprised this issue has not provided some additional delays recently.