Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Sent In 2010 - Went To Raters Now Back In Develop. For Other Reasons Not Claimed

Rate this question

usmcgirl

Question

I submitted my claim back in december 2010 for PTSD related to MST that was never reported. Originally I was awarded 30% for Major Depressive disorder on my original award when i got out of the military in 2007. I never reported the rapes due to the fact that when I tried I was laughed at half way through when I was telling them what had happened. When I submitted my claim this time around in 2010 for increase since my disablility has gotten much worse - I had witness statements from my roommate along with other other Marines during that time back then that noted a distinct change in me along with one of my family members. My claim went finally went to the raters in august 22 of 2010. I called on thursday 10/ 20/2010 and my claim was still at the raters. I checked Ebennefits on Sat. 10/22/2010 and my claim had been sent back to developemental stage saying that i needed more evidence for : alocohol dependency, self mutilation, and insomnia. But i never claimed any of these. these were all in my files from my doctors at the VA and witness statements. I don't have any "evidence" of them except what is in my files from my doctors at the VA and what is in my service med record and SRB on PRO/CON. As far as the self mutilation goes....I hid that and the VA was the one who found out about that. Yes it's all directly related. but I don't understand what they are asking me for - to provide evidence for - when they have it all. and I never claimed it. . .can anyone help me out on this?

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Send a picture of the proof of the cutting.

A picture would be proof of a scar - if there was a scar left -

but it would not necessarily be proof that cutting was self inflicted.

Hopefully when something like this happens we discuss it in therapy,

the therapist's asks to see what we did and notates it in a treatment summary

or progress notes. - JMHO - carlie

This is a symptom that you reported as due to the service connected condition.

Also ask for a scar exam for residual scars secondary to your psychiatric condition.

The way I am understanding the prior post,

usmcgirl - posted that she was self inflicting these wounds due to PTSD.

PTSD is not (yet) a SC'd disability.

She has posted she is SC'd for MDD.

If it's not clear that the self-mutilation is from a SC'd disability - then the scars

would not warrant SC - even at zero percent. - JMHO - carlie

If your alcohol dependence came about as a form of self medication for your psychiatric condition, then there may be something there.

From what I understand - the alcohol dependency itself (substance abuse),

even if medically recognized as self medication (as a secondary result of a SC'd disability)

will not be granted SC. If there are residual disabilities from it, such as Cirrosis of the Liver (or whatever)

then the additional disabling condition MAY warrant SC. - JMHO - carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

migrains 30%, depression 30 %, residuals of scaphoid fracture 10%, arthroscopic surgury residual 10%, scar left ankle 10%,

usmcgirl,

What disabilities are you SC'd for and what percentage evaluation's for each ?

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

hey guys....thanks for all the advice....not only am i taking the advice that you are giving me and am using it to help myself, but you are educating me so I can help others on hadit like me that i know are on here. so thanks again guys! I know the VA only recognizes one mental disorder, the depression was secondary to PTSD but was originally misdiagnosed which is in itself, my fault due to me not telling my shirink in the corps the original reason for the depression. as far as the cutting goes, yes that is related to the PTSD and depression. it is my outlet to release my frustration after triggers. or sometimes i do it just to "feel something" when i am just numb. the drinking was to self medicate myself after the incident and i stayed a drunk for 5 years. i still to this day suffer from insomnia. i sent in buddy statements that attested that i was drinking heavly. my shink while in the service noted that i was a drunk and it was noted in my fit reps that i reeked of booze. i don't drink now and did not claim that so i am not sure why the raters put that they needed more evidence for it. but it's in there along with the cutting and the insomnia.