Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Big Surprise!

Rate this topic

Lorraine

Dear Hadit Elders----"Happy days are here again", thanks to you. Because of all of the reading and information on Hadit, after my Vet rec'd his 60% award for AO/IHD, we filed another claim for AO/Diabetes type 2. From everything I'd read, I knew that since he wasn't on insulin or oral meds, just maintaining with diet restrictions that it wouldn't increase his award percentage, but thought we'd better have it on record in case it gets worse in the future.

So, he went thru all of the rigamarole again with getting records, going for a new C & P, another echocardiogram(that surprised me since it was less than a year prior that he'd had one for his IHD ordered by VA). We nearly forgot about it because we knew it wasn't going to be any increase in a monetary award so weren't anxiously awaiting results like the first claim.. It took about 8 months this time around. Well, the big envelope came and I nearly dropped my partial plate in reading that they'd increased him to 70% because the C & P had determined that he has peripheral neuropathy in both lower extremeities as well as his diabetes type 2 , so that kicked up the percentage.

So, let this be a lesson to all of us to not dread those C & P exams! He not only got some good medical information, but rec'd

additional compensation.

THANKS TO YOU WONDERFUL FOLKS on HADIT!! We would have never persevered and filed that 2nd claim if it had not been for your guidance.

Lorraine

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your increase in benefits. But keep a watchful eye on the PN. That's some nasty stuff. It can spread up the legs and can eventually effect his hands also. The C & P examiner did a "sock and glove" test to determine that he had PN. He needs to be tested by a neurologist for severity of PN in his feet and possible presence of PN in his hands. Go to a private neurologist if possible as most have state of the art equipment compared to the VA's antiques. On that point I speak from experience. Got amild DX from VA neuro for both hands and feet. 1 1/2 months later, private neuro DXed severe in feet and mod. severe in hands. Anything more than mild PN in his feet could lead to another increase. Be well and GOD bless.

SEMPER FI

ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE

Congratulations on the increase - I understand about getting the DM II service-connected. I did the same with my HTN, ended up with a 0% SC, but who knows what the future will hold.

I was also dx'ed with PN, but I have never noticed it. If it wasn't for the VA using their antiquated equipment, I would never have know I have had it. Personally, I have always had an extremely high tolerance for pain, so I may have has this all my life. Who knows...

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

Congratulations Lorraine, so glad that your Vet get his rating both for IHD and DMII. The diabetes rating depends on whether your on oral medicine, insulin or just diet and exercise, also how much insulin you take will effect the rating. When they put him on oral medicine file for an increase of the DMII. Like everyone says keep an eye on the PN, I've gone from occasional burning sensation on my feet to numbness in the toe in just a short while. The big danger with PN is that you could hurt yourself and not know it because of the PN. That's also why the tell people with DMII that they should examine their feet daily.

Rick

Take nothing but pictures Leave nothing but footprints

FABULOUS NEWS!!!

If he isn't working, he should now apply for TDIU!!!!

And SSDI.

Many vets with AO DMII granted and IHD as well ( a known consequence of diabetic disability )

were denied in the past for IHD or CAD because VA said their heart disease preceded their AO DMII.

These vets now have basis for an AO IHD claim with a favorable EED.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use