VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If It Does Happen... Who Can Help Us Understand Benefits

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

Got a letter from the DAV saying my TDIU was denied, but I was rated 100% P&T. A bit over a week later, much needed retro money showed up in my account. I am STILL waiting nervously for the actual letter from the VA.... I don't want to believe till I see it in their print. My wife writes the following....

* We started to look at some of the benefits he might want to take advantage of. He has health insurance, but his co-pay is prettty big. We have two children less than 23 who should be full time school next semester. Canceling our fed retiree health insurance for CHAMPVA would have them denied benefits from 24th birthday (instead of 26th due to Obama law), and they would also loose insurance if they leave school. IT's really hard to be sure one understands the situation, and it's hard to decide what to do. He retired early due to his veteran health issues, so eliminating that premium and the co-pays is so tempting. Add in the questions about Medicare and it's even more confusing.

WHERE DO WE GET HELP (OTHER THAN THIS WONDERFUL FORUM) IN UNDERSTANDING BENEFITS? Do service organizations help with this, like the DAV who helped us get the rating. Or do we go to State VA / county office? Or directly to the VA itself. We are hoping we can find a knowlegeable source who can SIT DOWN with us and have discussions about this. Is there anyone like that?

Thank you like always....

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If he cancels his FEHB then he will be depending on medicare and the VA. Unless you have other health insurance that covers all your health care expense I don't think it is wise to cancel FEHB. If he has medicare then medicare is his primary insurance and FEHB is secondary. If you get ChampVA FEHB will be primary and ChampVA will be secondary. If he gets medicare and has FEHB there should be no co-pays or deductibles for most plans. I would wait and see how the 100% is going to impact you budget. You kids will get education benefits for college from VA. Also if your FEHB is not active and he dies you cannot get it back as a survivor and neither can your kids.

When you get the letter apply for Champ-VA for the family you can get a supplemental with it that will cover all the cost of the family care. It has been a God send to many veterans. Keep you claim close until the 20 year and a day. Your kids will be covered under champ-VA when they go to post H.S. just make sure they are signed up and have their cards.

You wife can go to the VA for care, all meds can be filled at the VA free. you will have to get it set up first. You and the family can get a brown ID card to go to the post and shop.

Got a letter from the DAV saying my TDIU was denied, but I was rated 100% P&T. A bit over a week later, much needed retro money showed up in my account. I am STILL waiting nervously for the actual letter from the VA.... I don't want to believe till I see it in their print. My wife writes the following....

* We started to look at some of the benefits he might want to take advantage of. He has health insurance, but his co-pay is prettty big. We have two children less than 23 who should be full time school next semester. Canceling our fed retiree health insurance for CHAMPVA would have them denied benefits from 24th birthday (instead of 26th due to Obama law), and they would also loose insurance if they leave school. IT's really hard to be sure one understands the situation, and it's hard to decide what to do. He retired early due to his veteran health issues, so eliminating that premium and the co-pays is so tempting. Add in the questions about Medicare and it's even more confusing.

WHERE DO WE GET HELP (OTHER THAN THIS WONDERFUL FORUM) IN UNDERSTANDING BENEFITS? Do service organizations help with this, like the DAV who helped us get the rating. Or do we go to State VA / county office? Or directly to the VA itself. We are hoping we can find a knowlegeable source who can SIT DOWN with us and have discussions about this. Is there anyone like that?

Thank you like always....