VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received Award

Rate this question

Maureenjls

Question

Berta,

Received my award letter on November 12, 2011 - Decision - Service connection for the cause of death is granted, finally after 17 years......I am totally thrilled.

Retro money is for extended burial allowance -

No mention of REPS benefits - Is this an entity in itself or should it be included in my award letter?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you do have problems with the REPS contact Scott at the VA's survivor office email I gave you:

Christopher Scott Bell, LICSW

Office of Survivors Assistance

Just received a call from the VA regarding my inquiry on 11/16/11 regarding my REPS claim. Can you believe she knew nothing about REPS, I mean nothing at all. She said she would find someone who did and call me back. So I took Berta's advice and e-mailed the Office of Survivors. Hope to hear something soon.

Maureen

I just got a call from the REPS Coordinator in St. Louis....he said my claim has been approved....YEAH -

Is there some formula I can use to figure out how much is due me? I want to make sure the award is correct. We are talking about 1999 when my son turned 16...wow where do the years go?

Thanks,

Maureen

That is great news Maureen!

The only way I could figure out the amnount they owed me was right, is because I still had all the SSA paperwork in a file with the amounts on the original SSA award letters.

I think the Social Security office you dealt with when you received the SSA benefit might be able to help you with the amouints

I only got a check from REPS with no audit or anything.

I sure believe their are widows and widowers out there who are possibly eligible for REPS when they receive a SC VA death award for their veteran spouse

(depending on any SSA parents benefits they received from SSA) and no one tells them of this potential benefit.

Enjoy this. You deserve it!

When Pres Reagan took the extra 2 year parents benefit away in 1981, (The Omnibus Reconciliation Act) many survivors with children were devastated.It wasn't fair but the VA has rectified that for those who are eligible due to SC death of a spouse.

In that respect the VA did the right thing.