VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received Award

Rate this question

Maureenjls

Question

Berta,

Received my award letter on November 12, 2011 - Decision - Service connection for the cause of death is granted, finally after 17 years......I am totally thrilled.

Retro money is for extended burial allowance -

No mention of REPS benefits - Is this an entity in itself or should it be included in my award letter?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So glad that after all this time, this issue can be of comfort for you. God bless you for your wait.

WOW this is wonderful news Maureen.

"No mention of REPS benefits - Is this an entity in itself or should it be included in my award letter?"

If you filled out the REPS form along with the DIC application (It is the last part of the 21-534 form-then VA should send the REPS app and award to the REPS people.

I can tell you they fail to do this for us widows.

My c file ,a rep told me, even had a notation not to send me the REPS app.(I found out that they needed an updated REPS application as mine was by then 15 years old but still----not a word from the VA as to the new application. I dealt with the REPS people directly.

I will try to find the phone numbers for REPS-

They can send you or fax you the newer version of the application.

They will need proof of the SSA payments you received as the Mother's survivors benefit for your child and I had to send them some school information on my daughter as well along with the Award letter.

Also you should be eligible for CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 Educational benefits and perhaps your children are too.

CHAMPVA has a web site for application for that benefit.

The VA Should tell us about the REPS application and handle it properly but, I have years of experience as a widow who had to find out what benefits they owed me myself.They don't want us to know anything.

I suggest you call the VA ( click on the ebenefits number after you call 1-800-827-1000 and tell them because you are a widow you are denied access to ebenefits- and they should put you in touch with a claims counselor who could see if the PC screen shows the VA will be processing your REPS application.

Then again here is the application if you dont get a good answer:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8924-ARE.pdf

My last contact with REPS was at 1-314-552-9803.

I dont know if that is still their number but hopefully someone there could also advise what you should do.

I personally do not trust VA to pursue the REPS benefit for us.

Also make sure -if the child's benefit is applicable if they continued their education after age 18)

I got a separate letter regarding my CHAMPVA from the VA.The letter said I was possibly eligible but would have to apply for this myself.

CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 are fabulous benefits.VA paid considerable money towards my degree under Chapter 35.