Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Claim Due To Oif

Rate this question

manning01

Question

Has anyone done a successful claim i.e get compensated for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) a presumptive to SW Asia service? I went to OIF twice, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait and now I have IBS and wish I didn't this, it is a pain to live with but not even nearly as bad as other things discussed in the forums. I was wondering since this is a presumptive illness according to Gulf War/ OIF guidlines do all I need to do on the VBA 21-4138 is state what I have and I state it as a presumptive to my servcie in SW Asia? There is nothing in my SMR I just attributed my issue before I retired last year to just getting older and being sensitive to certain foods but now it getting worse and I heard it doesn't have to be in my SMR since it's presumptive? I also heard the claim eligibility was extended so once my first claim for tinnitus and my neck fusion due to an injury sustained in Iraq is completed (submitted since Sept 2010) I'd like to submit and hopefully do it right the first time. Any ideas is greatly appreciated in steering this VA greenbeen the right way.

:smile:

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

tell them you have ibs. if you are diagnosed with anything else like diverticulitis(sp?) the vawill say you don't have ibs and it is not service connected. Then you will need an IMO stating that your symptoms are IBS.

Wrong advice here. There is chronic diarrhea of unknown causes(see change to section come) he can get. The max rating is 100%. You can not file for any of the illness listed as a presumptive unless you are Dx for them, just like any other claim but some have. You can file for the symptoms and get Dx and still rated with the file date.

tell them you have ibs. if you are diagnosed with anything else like diverticulitis(sp?) the vawill say you don't have ibs and it is not service connected. Then you will need an IMO stating that your symptoms are IBS.

This is interesting to me as well. I have had gastoral problems all through out my military career documented in my SMR's but never a diagnosis. So if I was to put in a claim for IBS, do I just file for unknown and describe my symtoms when filling for the claim?

Wrong advice here. There is chronic diarrhea of unknown causes(see change to section come) he can get. The max rating is 100%. You can not file for any of the illness listed as a presumptive unless you are Dx for them, just like any other claim but some have. You can file for the symptoms and get Dx and still rated with the file date.

where in the rating schedule can you get 100% for diarreah?

I have been Dx for IBS and have the high test rate allowed. By law 30% I posted my award. On <-----on this link here. Hopes this helps. Read the ibs really good it will. Help you get what u need and you need.a dx from you doctor of Ibs. I will post my c&p of ibs too to help you guys get the beat rating u need.

Edited by usmc89

So what is the bottom line? Do I need a diagnosis for IBS or not? My SMR are covered with complaints of groin pain, bloating, blah blah blah, but I filed for chronis prostistitus...that is the va rep told me to file for when I retired. But I had no idea what I had....but now reading IBS symptoms, that is exactly what I have. So how do exactly go about filling for this?