VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking For List Of Usn Ships Causing Hearing Loss

Rate this question

Urge

Question

I am just starting to file a claim with the VA for service connected hearing loss. I served on a WWII Diesel Submarine With 4 huge diesels. I slept right next to the engine compartment. My local VA agent told me there is a list of ships that the VA has already acknowledged as having noise levels that cause hearing loss. He can't find it. Can anyone hear point me in the right direction or give me a link to another Vets forum etc. that might have this info?

Urge

Reference:  For more information on considering the Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing, see M21-1MR, Part III, Subpart iv, 4.B.12.c.

Continued on next page

12.  Hearing Impairment, Continued

PRIVATE INFOTYPE="PROCEDURE"

c.  Considering the Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing

The Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing, which has been reviewed and endorsed by each branch of service, is available at http://vbaw.vba.va.gov/bl/21/rating/docs/dutymosnoise.xls

Based on the Veteran’s records, review each duty MOS, Air Force Specialty Code, rating, or duty assignment documented on the Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing to determine the probability of exposure to hazardous noise.  

If the duty position is shown to have a “Highly Probable” or “Moderate” probability of hazardous noise exposure, concede exposure to hazardous noise for the purposes of establishing the in-service event.

Note:  The Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing is not an exclusive means of establishing a Veteran’s in-service noise exposure.  Evaluate claims for service connection for hearing loss in light of the circumstances of the Veteran’s service and all available evidence, including treatment records and examination results.

Reference:  For more information on considering the circumstances of the Veteran’s service, see 38 U.S.C. 1154(a) and (b).

• HadIt.com Elder

If you go to the Training & Fast Letters, Directives, Regulations Forum, you will find:

VHA Directive 2008-070

VA Fl 10-35

Auditory - Noise - Cam Regulation 40-5

Auditory - Noise - Fsh Regulation No. 40-7

Auditory - Noise -_Duty Mos/Job Title

I converted these documents over to readable for posting on hadit.

Since there are 5 of these suckers, just look them up on the forum. You might find other documents for other issues in here also.

I wish you good journey.

fanaticbooks

p.s. The Index for these is in the Announcement at the top of the page. There are descriptions of what each document covers. The documents within the forum do not show the descriptions, so take a moment to look at the Announcement/Index at the top. :)

Edited by fanaticbooks

T8r-

"The Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing, which has been reviewed and endorsed by each branch of service, is available at http://vbaw.vba.va.g...utymosnoise.xls"

This link does not work.

fanaticbooks- None of these pertains to Navy ships. These are mostly from the Army. I am looking for a list of US Navy ships that are considered to cause hearing loss.

Urge

T8r-

"The Duty MOS Noise Exposure Listing, which has been reviewed and endorsed by each branch of service, is available at http://vbaw.vba.va.g...utymosnoise.xls"

This link does not work.

fanaticbooks- None of these pertains to Navy ships. These are mostly from the Army. I am looking for a list of US Navy ships that are considered to cause hearing loss.

Urge

I found the following previous post by others here on hadit. Remember that hearing loss and tinnitus are two different issues.

68mustang

Urge,

To be quite honest it doesn't really have to do with ships, but MOS/Rates or events/location. I was a yeoman, but worked right by the arresting gear and slept By the catapults. My job technically didn't expose me to noises, but my location did. I failed the hearing test three times before getting out if service and

My noise exposure my my job was considered "minimal". So, there really isn't a list of ships. Hope This helps better than what I posted Before. Sorry about the Link.