VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tuition Covered Under Chapter 35? Child Of Deceased 100% Vet.

Rate this question

Quint7

Question

As so many posts start off, Berta seems like the expert on this and I hope she has the time to answer.

Step-dad was 100% P&T, died of service connected issue. His widow (my mom) and daughter get Survivors comp from VA. She is graduating from high school in June. She has been accepted at Michigan State University (she is a NY resident) as a pre-med student.

My mom and I had been under the impression that Chapter 35 pays the entire tuition for widows/dependents of deceased 100% vets. What we are being told by VA's Education side is, no, you (she) get $957 a month while enrolled in approved schooling and that is all. I have read on here about people (Berta, you specifically I remember) getting tuition paid. This post contains posts showing that:

Her (my) mom is 62, lives off survivors VA and Social Security payments and can't afford community college, let alone out-of-state tuition at a school like M.S.U. and she also gets $200 a month less after her daughter leaves fro school since she is no longer under 18 and in high school. Someone please tell me I'm getting bad info from VA and a million web sites. My poor step-dad had been convinced by his vet buddies that his entire VA comp transferred right over to my mom and when he died and her income was cut to below 1/3 of what he was getting she damn near had a breakdown. My niece got accepted as a pre-med student and it seems like nobody from VA or the school can give any answer other than "you get the $957 a month from VA period and tuition, books, fees, etc are all on you to pay with loans, etc if that amount doesn't cover your it ($40,000 freshman year, $20,000 the other 3 years). I'm hoping that she has just repeatedly spoken to misinformed or lazy people at VA.

Thanks in advance.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

For anyone wanting info on Chapter 35 benefits.......see the Va website, they take care of the monthly amount only, it's a pretty straight forward benefit.

Anything about tuition waivers will be a state by state based benefit. Some states are more liberal than others and vary on what is, and not covered.