Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hereditary Angioedema In The Usmc?

Rate this question

Tanker

Question

Hello all! I will start off by saying that i do no have issues with the VA as of right now, but moreso some questions. I am still currently in the USMC. I've been in for sometime and have served in OIF and have just under two years remaining on my contract. I enjoy the Corps. and people I've come across along the way. Before my deployment, my mother was diagnosed with Hereditary Angioedema (HAE). I was informed about what it was, symptoms, and that i too could possibly have it. However it is roughly 2 and a half years later and still have not been tested for it. Reason being, i didn't wan't to miss my deployment, and leave my brothers, and most of all, leave the Corps. I do not know if i have it or not. I have never had the acute attacks, but looking at pictures, i may have had a few outbreaks of the rash's that also come with HAE. (again not confirmed). I considered getting tested privately and keeping the results to myself, but had fear of having an acute attack at work and getting a dishonorable due to me having knowledge of the disease. I haven't had an attack, and felt confident that i would at least make it until the end of my contract. But this changed last night when my mother was hospitalized from an attack in the throat. It was a scary ordeal for my whole family, and me especially knowing that this could be potentially lurking around the corner. So i am putting it into action to get tested. NOW my questions (finally) are if i do have it, is it an automatic discharge, and will i be covered for any kind of medical bills for being diagnosed while in service? Don't get me wrong, i am not looking to cheat the system for a hereditary disease, i just have no real idea what i'm doing and what options i have still being in service. Any feedback is much appreciated, and from looking at other forums it seems like "Hoppy" may be knowledgeable with this topic?

Tanker

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In regards to some of your posts, I do wish for a reply from Hoppy, but do not know how to go about reaching him.

I found his profile but cannot view it or send him a message.

Tanker

Hoppy might be around before long - sometimes he's not on his computer everyday

and he has alot of things to do.

Also, your tools have been increased for the web site.

I'm not sure what you're asking ...

Are you asking how to stay in the Corps, or are you seeking information about VA service connection if you are discharged because of disability?

Hello all! I will start off by saying that i do no have issues with the VA as of right now, but moreso some questions. I am still currently in the USMC. I've been in for sometime and have served in OIF and have just under two years remaining on my contract. I enjoy the Corps. and people I've come across along the way. Before my deployment, my mother was diagnosed with Hereditary Angioedema (HAE). I was informed about what it was, symptoms, and that i too could possibly have it. However it is roughly 2 and a half years later and still have not been tested for it. Reason being, i didn't wan't to miss my deployment, and leave my brothers, and most of all, leave the Corps. I do not know if i have it or not. I have never had the acute attacks, but looking at pictures, i may have had a few outbreaks of the rash's that also come with HAE. (again not confirmed). I considered getting tested privately and keeping the results to myself, but had fear of having an acute attack at work and getting a dishonorable due to me having knowledge of the disease. I haven't had an attack, and felt confident that i would at least make it until the end of my contract. But this changed last night when my mother was hospitalized from an attack in the throat. It was a scary ordeal for my whole family, and me especially knowing that this could be potentially lurking around the corner. So i am putting it into action to get tested. NOW my questions (finally) are if i do have it, is it an automatic discharge, and will i be covered for any kind of medical bills for being diagnosed while in service? Don't get me wrong, i am not looking to cheat the system for a hereditary disease, i just have no real idea what i'm doing and what options i have still being in service. Any feedback is much appreciated, and from looking at other forums it seems like "Hoppy" may be knowledgeable with this topic?

Tanker

I do know that in 1968, if you had Hereditary Angioedema it would disqualify you for military service. But, in 1968, if you could breathe, see your own hands, walk somewhat straight, you were good to go. This disease is why I could not allow myself to be drafted into the Army. I would be putting others at risk. BTW, this can not be service connected as it is "Hereditary". My fight is aggravation of the disease, but that will take years.

Papa

I disagree. There is no absolute bar to service connection - on any basis (direct, aggravated or presumptive)- for a hereditary or familial disease/condition.

Please look at:

VAOPGCPREC 67-90 http://www.va.gov/og.../PREC_67-90.doc

VAOPGCPREC 1-90 http://www.va.gov/og...0/PREC_1-90.doc

VAOPGCPREC 82-90 http://www.va.gov/og.../PREC_82-90.doc

I do know that in 1968, if you had Hereditary Angioedema it would disqualify you for military service. But, in 1968, if you could breathe, see your own hands, walk somewhat straight, you were good to go. This disease is why I could not allow myself to be drafted into the Army. I would be putting others at risk. BTW, this can not be service connected as it is "Hereditary". My fight is aggravation of the disease, but that will take years.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

Tanker

You need to know some very specific facts before you make any assessment of what you are up against. There are five forms of the disease. There is a form that is hereditary and passed from generation to generations following principals of Mendelian genetics. There is a form that is caused by a spontaneous gene mutation. In this form no one in your family will have the disease prior to you. There are allergic forms of the disease and there is a form that onsets later in life for unknown reasons.

It is very difficult to tell the difference between each form based on initial symptoms. It is rare for an individual to have the hereditary form and not have symptoms during childhood. Allergic forms can develop at any time during your life. The same individual may have multiple forms of the disease and additional conditions that produce similar symptoms. I have the allergic form and sometimes the reactions produce facial swelling and rashes and sometimes they only produce facial swelling. I have both minor reactions involving swelling around one eye. Severe reactions result in massive facial swelling including eye lids, lips, mouth and throat. I do not have rashes in the absence of facial swelling. Rashes without swelling can be caused by numerous conditions not related to angioedema.

Doctors throw terms around loosely. Your mother diagnosis could be a provisional diagnosis requiring further testing. Technically it can be argued that there is a hereditary basis for all forms of the disease. Both me and my mother have the allergic form. However, we do not have the hereditary form. The actual hereditary form can only be confirmed by isolating the mutated gene. Before you assume anything it would be a good idea to find out what your mothers C-1 esterase levels are. If these levels are low it is likely she has the hereditary form. I would think that her doctor would have mentioned to her the need for having other members of the family tested if she had the hereditary form.

If your mothers doctor recommended that family members be tested it would be best if you told the military and had them perform the tests. Without a doctor recommending the tests it would not surprise me if you asked for the tests without presenting at least a subjective history of symptoms, then they would not even schedule the tests. However, if your mothers C-1 esterase levels are low I would demand the tests. If you have any form of the disease you will not be doing your fellow brothers in arms any favors by hiding the disease from the powers that be. The disease can incapacitate to you on very short notice.

The military and the VA only consider the disease disabling based on known history. If you have infrequent minor reactions they will not rate the condition base on the possibility that it can get worse. I suffered from minor symptoms for ten years. I did not even see doctors for the symptoms. I was diagnosed in the military because I went to sick call for an unrelated problem and the sick call doctor noticed that my face was swollen and prodded around and decided that I also had intestinal swelling. These are key markers for the disease. The symptoms and diagnosis were noted in my SMR. I continued to have minor reactions for ten more years after discharge. Ten years after my discharge for no known reason I started to have frequent severe reactions that required that I go to the ER. The progression from minor symptoms to recurrent severe symptoms is rare in the allergic form. It took me ten years to figure out what was causing the reactions. In my case it was common aromatic chemicals (benzene family) found in buildings and air pollution. The VA raters working my claim were either complete idiots or adversarial. It took me 8.5 years to get service connected for a disease that was documented in my SMR with an additional 25 years of documented treatment reports of post service symptoms from VA hospitals and a statement from the head of immunology and allergy at a VA hospital stating the disease onset in the military and has no known cure. Additionally, I had court determinations under labor law stating that I developed a chemical sensitivity and was prohibited from working. The only way I can control the disease is by living my life like a bubble boy. Benzene can be anywhere. I can function to some degree by living close to the beach on the west coast where the prevailing wind comes from the ocean. Going into buildings is like playing Russian Roulette.

If it turns out you have an allergic form caused by foods or medications it will be very hard to get a rating. Read the M-21 or CFR criteria for “diseases of allergic etiology”. We had a veteran post on hadit a case in which a veteran was discharged after 17 years of active duty, against his will, due to bee sting allergy. They rated him at “0”%.

Hobby,

Tanker please take what Hobby has to say to heart. I do have the hereditary variety, and my C1 levels are normally low. But, it appears that this disease can affect each person totally different from each other. When I was very young most of my problems were in the lower legs and feet. They would not swell up that much, but burn, and I mean like some one putting a hot poker on you and stabbing you with an ice pick. When I was in the military most of the time the problem was my arms and hands, and again I could feel the swelling, but it felt like it was inner swelling. Burn, like hell. I was a Pole Climber at Shepard AFB. The only medical treatment that I ever received was being sent to a shrink. My Congressman had to get me out of this class, it was not for people with this condition. But, they did offer me a section 8 discharge. Maybe I should have taken it, no way. BTW, I do have Lawyers working this for me. and realize that this will not be an easy battle to win.

Have you ever had problems with dental procedures? Hobby hope you are doing well.

Papa