Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing For My Deceased Husband's Social Security

teejay53

Question

at this time i receive disability each month and am wondering when or if i can apply and start drawing my husband's social security retirement?

i am 58 and not sure how this is done. i appreciate all your imput.

have a great day.

smile.png

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Spouses can begin drawing on their husbands SSA account at age 60, however, if the spouse is disabled they can start at age 50. "You should apply today." You can only receive from one account and will get whichever is the highest, his or yours.

pr

at this time i receive disability each month and am wondering when or if i can apply and start drawing my husband's social security retirement?

i am 58 and not sure how this is done. i appreciate all your imput.

have a great day.

smile.png

Philip is correct.

SSA has a great web site:

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/survivorchartred.htm

Survivor's info is here and this is their online service page and of course their home page has other info areas.

http://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/

I think I applied about 4 months before I turned 60.

SSA took my aplication by phone and I sent them what documents they needed and signed and returned the phone aplication they sent to me.

It went very smoothly.

I asked my tax man and my lawyer if I should wait until age 65 for the higher benefit but they both suggested taking the reduced benefit at 60.

I seem to recall the SSA person was able to give me an estimate over the phone as to my potential SSA survivor's retirement benefit.

i will try to explain, this is very confusing to me. i receive a disability ck each month, but i am currently drawing disability from my deceased hubby's social security and at 62 i have to be reviewed again to see if i am still disabled.

will i still have to be recertified disabled again at 62 if i apply for his social security now? i thank you for all your help.

have a great day.

huh.png

• HadIt.com Elder

Social Security has nothing to do w/your income. You get what you get, whether you get one dollar or a hundred thousand in other income. Supplimental Security Income (SSI) is for disabled persons w/little or no income. SS will not use DIC in any way as an offset.

pr

does anyone know if when i apply for my deceased hubby's social security benefit does social security use my dic as an income?

thank you