VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod For Lumbar Back Pain.

Rate this question

HSCM

Question

Good Evening. When I first got my VA rating package I was pretty happy with the 80% I got, but reading deeper in to it, it appears they made a few mistakes. One was so obvious, claiming my allergic hadn't gotten worse with service, even thou I had been on 7 different meds and wasn't service connected, and it is. I am working on an appeal for it.

The real reason for this post is how the VA rates back pain.

I have chronic lower back pain, on any day of the week it a 4 out of 10 on the pain scale, but with pain I can flex to 70 degrees. But the pain worsens at about 30-40 degrees. All resulting from years of flying, riding the cutters and two auto accidents. There are a few herniated discs, but currently not messing with my legs. I got 10% for my back for degenerative disc disease.

How are they suppose to rate range of motion, when the pain starts or as far as I can go? Is it worth doing a NOD for maybe an extra 10%.

I plan on claiming a couple things I missed on the first pass, I don't expect to get enough for 100% rating, but I can see 90%.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Apparently the VA is horribly outdated with lumbar injuries. If a doctor prescribes bed rest for lumbar pain, you need to find another doctor. Mobility is the key to maintaining proper function of the region. After each of my surgeries, my orthopedic surgeon had me walking the halls of the hospital the same day. I was prohibited from using any sort of cane during recovery (I had to anyway, or I wasn't going to be able to get up out of a seated position). My last surgery was in 2002 and even then the surgeon told me that bed rest was a very outdated way to deal with any form of spinal injury, aside from complete traction.

STOP at the point of pain when getting a c&p exam. My C&P examiner helped me get to 50 degrees after I had stopped around 30 degrees. Still took a reduction from 40% down to 20%. I had my physical therapist measure to 30degrees and on next c&p I STOPPED at 30 degree. Got my 20% back for Range of motion to 30 degree. First C & p examiner that got me reduced also helped me to be able to twist sideways, he applied good pressure, but never once asked me to remove the back brace I had on. He also forgot to mention the cane I was using that had been prescribe by my VA pcp but the rater took his word as gospil.

I've asked 14 doctors about prescribing bed rest for back pain (none of them are my personal doctor. Customers on my mail route) and gotten funny looks from 12 of them.

10 of them told me there's no way they would prescribe more than 1-2 days of bed rest for 99% of back patients. Two told me up to a week at the very most. Two (both older) said they had prescribed it for long periods in the past but would be reluctant to do so today.

I find it VERY strange that the VA considers it to be one of the primary rating criteria.

Apparently the VA is horribly outdated with lumbar injuries.

Actually the va is very up to date. They changed the rating guides in 2001 to make it much harder to get a 60% rating. Prior to 2001 it was much eaiser to get a 60% rating, but then the rating also included nerve damage, were as today they rate the nerve damage seperate.

I find it VERY strange that the VA considers it to be one of the primary rating criteria.

Thats is just it, the va knows bed rest is rarely prescribed so figure you must really be in bad shape if you spend 12 weeks out of the year in bed... most veterans will never see a 60% rating under the 2001 rating schedule.....even guys rated 60% under the old schedule would be hard pressed to get 60% under the newer ratings.