Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When We Need To Write Complaint About Vso, How To

Rate this question

autumn

Question

i just slipped through the cracks again so my VSO tells me. the particular service org has rep'd me 4 times over the past quite a few years. i slipped through the cracks the first time. a few years ago, in another city, same service org blew me off saying i didin't have this disease. though VA SC'd for it, but not cuz he helped, an IME did that. same service org didn't enlighten me that i needed to get all evidence into a c-file on a claim a few years ago, so that got denied. with their first claim years ago, i found/read their lawyer blew me out of the water with their asinine statements about my character that had nothing to do with the spinal claim increase at that time. that got denied

now for this new claim, i'm told me for months they need to contact the station manager at RO, well now, after a year and half, they say they finally found out who he is and contacted him. what!!, they don't know who a station manager is at a RO and takes them that long to contact them -- only after i push the issue. note: i'm in one state, my NSO is in another. that shouldn't matter.

a lot of runaround and bs from my perspective.

1. now is time for me to write their national office and note some type of complaint. seeking ideas on what is proper to write regarding such things. i've read on this forum a few folks that have had to write complaints, maybe i can get some pointers from them. this is to be a letter outlining this and that i'm tired of it.

2. after i write this note, do i still keep this service org or get another one or just do it myself?

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They told me get down to 1500 calories a day , I would like to see them do 1500 calories, I feel starved everyday. Walking helps a little, but if you have PN, its tuff

Ha most of the people who work at the clinic I go to need to lose weight also. My Doc is skinny but she is only one.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Some VSO's strike me as the quintessential jaded old men who enjoy sitting around giving their opinions and telling stories of how you failed for not following their advice.

This isn't the type of person you want going to bat for you.

I strongly recommend educating yourself and handling your own claim, because no one will do it as diligently as you will (if you are able, of course).

If you're so rattled or otherwise don't feel competent handling your own claim, a VSO is better than no claim.

Good luck! smile.png

Some VSO's strike me as the quintessential jaded old men who enjoy sitting around giving their opinions and telling stories of how you failed for not following their advice.

This isn't the type of person you want going to bat for you.

I strongly recommend educating yourself and handling your own claim, because no one will do it as diligently as you will (if you are able, of course).

If you're so rattled or otherwise don't feel competent handling your own claim, a VSO is better than no claim.

Good luck! smile.png

that is how 3 out of 4 vso's have been in my case. since i'm filing a complaint to national i'll be taking back poa i suspect.

hey, to get all vso correspondence they did regarding my case, all i have to do is request it?

In my opinion and as a prior DAV Chapter Service Officer.. I can tell you that writing a letter of complaint isn't likely to generate any good will, and the Service officer in question is not likely to hear about the problem unless you could actually prove a problem beyond he said.. she said....

I am not even sure that you could sue either.. first you would have to show cause.. again far beyond he said she said.... It is true that the DAV did ( may still) bond the volunteer service officers as well as paid VSO's just in case of a problem but I doubt may cases ever make it to a court room.

My best advice is to find a new reliable service officer, and from my perspective they are far and few between. That is why it is so important for a veteran to know his own claim inside and out.

If you need help with your claim and can't find a decent service officer contact the veterans pro bono consortium

http://www.vetsprobono.net/ if they think you have a case they will represent you at no cost..

best of luck

thats why i do so much of the work myself. all vso does is write a letter to ro after i put all evidecne together. heck, he hasn't even reviewed my c-file in going close to 2 years. he's either listening to the va or me and i suspect its va. imho

i really doubt i'd sue. i could just be mad and maybe they did just enough to do only a little. doesn't justify a lawsuit in the sense i could win. i have found zero accountability in dealing with va or vso or ro in 24+yrs.

thanks for the link. will come in handy if/when i take POA back.

VSO's are like spouses: The good ones are already taken.

If this VSO was a good, experienced, talented VSO, he would be too busy to take you as a client as he would be swamped with Vets.

The lousy ones have plenty of time to talk to you and then shred your evidence or never send it in or otherwise give bad service. Many have gone another route.

Ever hear "there is no free lunch"?

The cell phone companies offer a "free" phone. Your VSO service is "free" similar to a cell phone, in that you pay for it later..in reduced benefits.

While there are exceptions, you will find this to be mostly true.

Many VSO's say, "Dont appeal"...or "you dont have a "CUE". Or..."Wait to apply for benefits". All of these things usually cost you money...lots of it.

Edited by broncovet

VSO's are like spouses: The good ones are already taken.

If this VSO was a good, experienced, talented VSO, he would be too busy to take you as a client as he would be swamped with Vets.

The lousy ones have plenty of time to talk to you and then shred your evidence or never send it in or otherwise give bad service. Many have gone another route.

Ever hear "there is no free lunch"?

The cell phone companies offer a "free" phone. Your VSO service is "free" similar to a cell phone, in that you pay for it later..in reduced benefits.

While there are exceptions, you will find this to be mostly true.

Many VSO's say, "Dont appeal"...or "you dont have a "CUE". Or..."Wait to apply for benefits". All of these things usually cost you money...lots of it.

glad i heard/read this. yep, sorry to confirm but this VSO and few prior have all said what you have written. i'll take my case my own soon.

let me ask again if ya folks don't mind, when i request this VSOs communications he has done on my claim with VA, he has to send that to me?

my gut has told me this for awhile, i 'll just do these things myself with help from here. would take the same amount of time using a VSO since i'm doing all the work mostly and getting little advice from him except, "sit back and wait, lets see if VA does the right thing..." guess all you folks heard that before.

thanks