Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Med Records List Incorrect Limb.

Rate this question

K9MAL

Question

I've been reviewing my VA stuff due to wanting to pursue having my claim looked at and hopefully getting a higher percentage rating for several issues that have become worse over the past couple of years. One thing I noticed after reading carefully was the fact that the Corpsman who looked at my crushed right foot listed it as being my left foot at the time. I'm having major pain with the right one and they turned me down the first time stating that the left foot was the one that was injured.

I've had to have 2 cortisone shots within the past 2 weeks and am now getting orthotics due to the damage and walking incorrectly now. There is constant pain and without the cortisone I can barely walk on my right foot.

Is there anyway to appeal this and have them recognize that the Corpsman made a mistake on the boat and screwed up my records? Also, I believe this will be a nexus issue although I don't know much about it other than reading a few things about it here and there.

Thank you for any and all advice.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Is there anyway to appeal this and have them recognize that the Corpsman made a mistake on the boat and screwed up my records? I don't see this as an appealable event. Generally, you don't second guess the Service Medical Records. So, I don't believe any "appeal" would be granted.

However, this is one situation where "buddy statements" may have some merit, that is signed statements from your buds from that time who can attest to the injury. Whether the statements will hold up or not, ....

Another route would be for you to get your own medical opinion. If the injury had been primarily soft tissue, there may be no evidence. However, if there had been some bone damage to the tarsals/metatarsals, there may be some radiographic (X-ray) evidence. You will need your physician (an orthopedic surgeon prolly would be best) to:

1. Do a comprehensive examination of both feet to include X-rays of both feet. And,

2. Review your Service Medical Records. And,

3. If the X-rays confirm evidence of an old injury to the right foot (indicative of a crush injury) AND the X-rays of the left foot DO NOT show evidence of a crush injury, your physician/orthopedist should write that:

Based on my examination of Mr. Amateur Radio Licensee's (or whatever your name is), radiographic studies and my review of his Service Medical Records dated ________, ________, _______, [whatever], it is my medical opinion that Mr K9MAL in fact injured his right foot in service, rather than the left foot as was reported in the Service Medical Records.

Thank you for any and all advice. -.-- --- ..- / .- .-. ./ .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- . (sent at 5 WPM).

I've been reviewing my VA stuff due to wanting to pursue having my claim looked at and hopefully getting a higher percentage rating for several issues that have become worse over the past couple of years. One thing I noticed after reading carefully was the fact that the Corpsman who looked at my crushed right foot listed it as being my left foot at the time. I'm having major pain with the right one and they turned me down the first time stating that the left foot was the one that was injured.

I've had to have 2 cortisone shots within the past 2 weeks and am now getting orthotics due to the damage and walking incorrectly now. There is constant pain and without the cortisone I can barely walk on my right foot.

Is there anyway to appeal this and have them recognize that the Corpsman made a mistake on the boat and screwed up my records? Also, I believe this will be a nexus issue although I don't know much about it other than reading a few things about it here and there.

Thank you for any and all advice.

Thank you for the insight and advice. I'll be returning to the podiatrist in about a week after they've made the orthotics and will consult with him on this when I return. On my exit physical they did write that I had told them I was still having issues with my right foot but the original report all indicates the left. I wish I knew then what I know now and I would've paid more attention at the time.

Thanks again!

I understand(could be wrong , but a simple phone call would be telling) that its not so hard to request that it be noted that there is an error in your med recs. Id talk to a Patient Care rep, or such "Social Worker" at your Med Ctr. and then just keep calling till youre at the right place. I think its just an insertion that indicates by YOU that an error was made, you noticed it on such and such date. Might need a notary, I dont know specifics, but THERE IS SOMETHING, as I UNDERSTAND IT.

Also, I had many erroneous things and several times it was like "my right or your left" type situations, so I dont think (particualrly a young Corpsman on a boat, first tour or whatever, YOU WERE YOUNG, and didnt ask to see your med recds. for a while. Or realize the importance , for a while. Good luck. I've a hunch you'll get some resolution, IMO. Mystic