Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File For A Disability Claim If I Get Better

Rate this question

USAFBrowne

Question

12 years after the fact, I finally went to see a VA Psychiatrist and was diagnosed with PTSD via MST. My Psychaiatrist, psychologist, and social worker keep asking me if I've filed a disabillity claim. My goal is to get back to a 'normal' life. So what happens if I do get back to normal (no more events and works at a job), before my application is seen? Do I still file even though I am capable of working. I keep reading about going to see a seperate CP&T evaluation.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I didn't address my PTSD due to MST for 30 long years, but now I am in therapy and for once in my life I feel like I have a support group via this forum. I went ahead and filed for disability and I have received so much good advice from the folks who have been down that road already, but it has still been a long, hard, "I want to quit" road because of the burden of proof for MST victims. I just had my second C&P exam 2 weeks ago and I am nervously waiting to hear the VARO's decision. I was turned down the first time, but I didn't give up. As I learned the hard way, the VA (or the C&P examiners) will try to blame your PTSD on events that happened before or after your military experience, so I stuck to the MST events that happened while on active duty during the second exam thanks to the advice I received here. I also found out that although I had alot of alternative evidence for my claim, I don't think it was read much or put together in a big picture kind of way. I guess my expectations were too high that someone would understand what I went through. I requested a DRO hearing and during that hearing, I put the big picture together for my review officer and unless I am sadly mistaken, my decision review officer seemed to really listen to me and seemed genuinely helpful. That is how I got a second C&P exam. I am living alone and I also want (or need) to work so I have something to keep me going every day. I am lucky to be in a job where I am sheltered a bit because my boss knows my past and has been very protective and compassionate toward me. There are people out there who won't judge you or think you are crazy because you receive mental health counseling. I have my triggers, but being in therapy is helping me deal with that. I am fortunate to be receiving good counseling from the VA and I plan to continue going as long as I need to. Good luck in what you do and listen to the good advice you will receive from this forum.

Cooter,

No i am not related to Drew. I used to be asked that question A LOT when I lived in Pullman, WA and attended WSU way back in 2000. Bane of my existence. Perhaps if I had said yes I would have got better grades??? tongue.png

I was trying to support the others in a roundabout way I suppose. My point, which I guess wasn't too clear, is that symptoms can come back depending on life events. Stressful situations of any type can be like scratching at a scabbed over wound. I don't think anyone ever really gets "cured" of the PTSD... they just get therapy, learn to identify it, and do their damnedest to cope. Unfortunately "life" is a cruel mistress, and won't always hold her punches.

• HadIt.com Elder

I didn't address my PTSD due to MST for 30 long years, but now I am in therapy and for once in my life I feel like I have a support group via this forum. I went ahead and filed for disability and I have received so much good advice from the folks who have been down that road already, but it has still been a long, hard, "I want to quit" road because of the burden of proof for MST victims. I just had my second C&P exam 2 weeks ago and I am nervously waiting to hear the VARO's decision. I was turned down the first time, but I didn't give up. As I learned the hard way, the VA (or the C&P examiners) will try to blame your PTSD on events that happened before or after your military experience, so I stuck to the MST events that happened while on active duty during the second exam thanks to the advice I received here. I also found out that although I had alot of alternative evidence for my claim, I don't think it was read much or put together in a big picture kind of way. I guess my expectations were too high that someone would understand what I went through. I requested a DRO hearing and during that hearing, I put the big picture together for my review officer and unless I am sadly mistaken, my decision review officer seemed to really listen to me and seemed genuinely helpful. That is how I got a second C&P exam. I am living alone and I also want (or need) to work so I have something to keep me going every day. I am lucky to be in a job where I am sheltered a bit because my boss knows my past and has been very protective and compassionate toward me. There are people out there who won't judge you or think you are crazy because you receive mental health counseling. I have my triggers, but being in therapy is helping me deal with that. I am fortunate to be receiving good counseling from the VA and I plan to continue going as long as I need to. Good luck in what you do and listen to the good advice you will receive from this forum.

x

x

x

It sounds like you have done everything right! The VA can not ignore their own regulations! I hope you get some good news soon ;-) ~Wings

x

x

x

It sounds like you have done everything right! The VA can not ignore their own regulations! I hope you get some good news soon ;-) ~Wings

Thanks Wings, you have been a valued advisor and great supporter. I appreciate you and everyone on this forum so much. Hopefully I will be able to share some good news soon.