Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing More Than One Claim Lumped Togther

Rate this question

autumn

Question

i had a claim in for MS secondary issues and was told by a congressional rep it was in decision phase back in Oct 2011.

so, i checked with vso about filing the SC for cervical issues and increase for already SC'd lumbar issues.

today i get this notice from RO:

Generally speaking, VA policy dictates that if additional conditions are claimed while you already have an open claim in process, the newly claimed conditions must be added to the open claim already in process and development must be completed for the newly claimed conditions.

so now, what another 2 years to get this complete since they lumped it all together?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Probably the best would be to figure out how much it costs you to delay filing a claim. Its hard to do this until you know the percentage of each claimed issue.

I think the optimum amount of money I would like to forfeit by delaying filing my claim would be zero. Others may disagree, hypothesizing that one claim may delay another. While this may be true, the VA does not need multiple issues to delay a claim, they can/do delay claims for all kinds of reasons. A few examples of how the VA delays your claim are: lost paperwork, administrative errors, rating errors, glitches of all sorts, erroneous rating codes, sending your paperwork to another Regional office, keeping your paperwork at a very busy office (they are all busy), failure to read your c file, failure to follow regulations, failure to send out VCAA notices, and there are many, many more..and this is just at the RO level...we have not yet begun with appeals, such as BVA, DRO, hearings, C and P exams, AMC CAVC and many many more reasons to delay.

It is even worse when you appeal, since a BVA appeal takes an average of 4.4 years per issue. The only paperwork that seems to be processed with any degree of speed is the executive bonuses at the VA. So, the best way to get your claim processed quickly is to become a VA executive.

Scare tactics!!!!! Yes that 's Possible!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

• HadIt.com Elder

You can ask the VA to defer a claim until a previous claim is decided. If they will do it that is great but it is their option, not the veterans.

BAsser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

You can ask the VA to defer a claim until a previous claim is decided. If they will do it that is great but it is their option, not the veterans.

BAsser

basser,

Here's a copy of something I just wrote up today for an Air Force vet.

To Whom It May Concern :

In reply to VARO correspondance I received that requested information and for me to sign and return

Form 10-5345, to release Medical / Health Information. This letter is not dated.

I am now submitting this form signed.

At this time I am requesting that while the VARO continues development of my many

current issues, that they go ahead and complete the adjudication on my issue for PTSD.

As part of the duty to assist and development of this issue, a decision maker at the XXXX VARO

ordered a C&P examination for my issue of PTSD.

This C&P examination was scheduled and completed on Jan 24,2012 at XXXXX VAMC.

Attached to this 21-4138 is a copy of the above C&P examination to ensure that it is now of

record. There is no further evidence I have to submit that is not already contained in the record

for this issue of PTSD.

I request that the XXXXX VARO take action to expedite adjudication of my issue for PTSD

(with consideration of all evidence now of record) and provide me with a

Rating Decision solely addressing the issue of PTSD, as soon as possible.

I fully understand that in taking the time to fulfill this request, it may further delay

action on other issues that are currently pending.

Also, please be advised that I am no longer represented by a Service Organization or VSO,

therefore I request any and all correspondance be sent directly to me at my address of record.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

congrats! glad to hear your successs

what is that 800 number? just the VA national number or like ebenefit number?

we all know all RO & VA are managed different with different priorities. appears yours "does the right thing"

It is the standard 1-800 number. The VSO only came twice a week and I decided to take things into my on hands.

I think my VSO was good and kept him in the loop of thing, but too many case's in Dallas.

When VA send a letter and need to file a form. I did it back ASAP.

I got friends and family to write letters of my condition's, and how they effected my life, But it had to be on the correct form are they would file it in the trash! Form 21-4138

Make sure that all Doctor's release are sent Form 21-4142

And see if you can get VES Veteran evaulation service's can and did help my case. A outside group of doctor to evaulate your condition!

Most of these people at Hadit have great knowledge on dealing with VA. They were very helpful to my success and getting where I'm at this point.

So my point is be careful, and listen to these people! Not Me, I'm a newbee!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

It is the standard 1-800 number. The VSO only came twice a week and I decided to take things into my on hands.

I think my VSO was good and kept him in the loop of thing, but too many case's in Dallas.

When VA send a letter and need to file a form. I did it back ASAP.

I got friends and family to write letters of my condition's, and how they effected my life, But it had to be on the correct form are they would file it in the trash! Form 21-4138

Make sure that all Doctor's release are sent Form 21-4142

And see if you can get VES Veteran evaulation service's can and did help my case. A outside group of doctor to evaulate your condition!

Most of these people at Hadit have great knowledge on dealing with VA. They were very helpful to my success and getting where I'm at this point.

So my point is be careful, and listen to these people! Not Me, I'm a newbee!

i found that VES web site, and will check it out, thanks

if not for hadit i'd still be seeing shrinks at VA for neuro problems cuz for some reason no one at VA would call it MS, etc. they do now thanks to hadit folks helping me out. still a few more things to iron out as you can imagine. recent va neuropsych results showed i have some issues all related to ms and its secondary stuff. i guess that is good. hard to trust anyone at va in my head though. what they tell me and write, well, we'll wait and see.

ok, i'm rambling so i have those things you mention in my tool box. thans

You can ask the VA to defer a claim until a previous claim is decided. If they will do it that is great but it is their option, not the veterans. BAsser

is there a backlash to the veteran if he does this?