VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fish Oil

Rate this topic

Is anyone currently getting fish oil, omega-3, Promega or anything similar from the VA Pharmacy? They tell me they have not dispensed fish oil in over a year even though my VA doc just prescribed it.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you have to pay for it's sure good for your HEART! My heart doctor live by it and I do too! I believe in alittle Crown and water toobiggrin.png

My VA PCP recently discontinued my generic Crestor & prescribed 4 tabs daily of Ester Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 MG (300 MG EPA/DHA). I was told that the VA pharmacy does not dispense it. They did provide my recently ordered Vit. D supplements. After taste is horrible on the ones I purchased.

Any suggestions for brand with reduced after taste?

I am currently taking Fish Oil prescribed and provided by the VA. Fish Oil Ultra with Natural Omega-3 1000 mg softgels made by AVKare. NDC# 42291-402-01

Just received 6 more bottles about 2 weeks ago. Also currently taking generic Crestor prescribed and provided by VA. Also taking an iron supplement prescribed

and provided by VA.

Was going to Orlando VAMC until 8/2011 where a Doctor of Osteopathy at VA prescribed to get my "bad" cholesterol down. Now I am going to Lawrenceville GA VA clinic. It may have something to do with your particular facility although logically it should all be the same.

If they say the VA doesn't issue, that is an untruth. My best advice is to go see the Advocate at your facility if they won't voluntarily provide.

As for the bad aftertaste if you keep the fish oil bottle sealed in a quart jar in the refrigerator it will help. Occasionally I do get the belches about 30 minutes after

taking and it is not the most pleasant taste.

At present I am not SC for anything but receive free meds due to low income. At 50% they should provide all your meds for SC or NSC without cost.