VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Smrs From Surgery At Landstuhl In 1981

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

DH had outpatient surgery done at Landstuhl Medical facility in summer 1981. How do I describe the facility - anyone know? We want to request his records through the archives - they don't appear in his other SMRs and there's nothing in his C-file about the surgery.

Thanks for any help!!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

See the reply I did on your other post. I spent a month in the hospital while on active duty and requested the MR's from the hospital and was told by the hospital that they send them to St. louis after a period of time. I got the entire file from St Louis. and I mean everything It even had the time of day when they took my temp. If it has been since 1981, I'll bet the hospital does not have them any longer. When you do request them from St louis make sure you put on the request all SMR's to include any and all hospital stays.

I had also been a patient at Landstuhl about the same time... they were in my full medial SMR's. All medical records from active duty are indluded when you ask for all smr's. At least from all the military clinics and hospitals. Civilian records are different and seperate.

by law, hospital can destroy records after 7 years. In other words if you have not been a patient or a provider for a patient and 7 years has elapsed, the hospital can burn, shred, and throw away records. In California, that is, I don't know about other places.

a side note: when I first started going to the VA I went to Kaiser and had my medical records officially transferred copies into VA medical records. It was really great I had the forsight to do this. I did make the mistake of forgetting about another outside clinic who treated me, and they are no longer around, so those valuable records are lost forever.

The records from Landstuhl aren't in the SMR's we requested... because we only requested In-Patient. It was this morning that DH told me the the surgeries & treatment were Out-Patient.

So that's what we're asking for today!

I hope that's what the difference is, because they are definitely not there - I copied the whole ream of SMR's today, took all day! Yay for HP home copiers with feeder trays!

St Louis should have the records, I had some in and out paitent stuff that I requested that went way ...way back to 1975 and I was able to get everything I needed to get approval for CRSC ...

when I asked for copies I asked for everything... but what pissses me off, is the va has the same access or more than I have, even after I signed the release form..

see photo of my medical records.. norw, I also have photo in other threads..

post-5809-0-24568700-1329559212_thumb.jp