Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cpap

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have OSA. The sleep lab said I stopped breathing up to 45 seconds at a time. Also my oxygen absorbtion level dropped to 76 at one point. I know the pills I take don't help since narcotics and clonazepam tend to relax the throat. I even wake myself up with loud snorts sometimes. I play with the mask tightening it here and then having air loss some place else. I have to get it pretty tight to stop the air flow loss. It is hard to get a good seal without pinching my nose. I am dedicated to using it but I still don't want to believe I have to use this thing for the rest of my days. My sleep is not better since I wake up even more often. The damn mask makes all kinds of squeaking and farting noises when I am adjusting it. It blows pretty hard since it will blow my cheeks out when I open my mouth. I really don't know how I sleep at all with this thing. I want to keep living so I will keep using it. Somebody should write a comedy routine about the wonderful cpap.

John

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have OSA. The sleep lab said I stopped breathing up to 45 seconds at a time. Also my oxygen absorbtion level dropped to 76 at one point. I know the pills I take don't help since narcotics and clonazepam tend to relax the throat. I even wake myself up with loud snorts sometimes. I play with the mask tightening it here and then having air loss some place else. I have to get it pretty tight to stop the air flow loss. It is hard to get a good seal without pinching my nose. I am dedicated to using it but I still don't want to believe I have to use this thing for the rest of my days. My sleep is not better since I wake up even more often. The damn mask makes all kinds of squeaking and farting noises when I am adjusting it. It blows pretty hard since it will blow my cheeks out when I open my mouth. I really don't know how I sleep at all with this thing. I want to keep living so I will keep using it. Somebody should write a comedy routine about the wonderful cpap.

John

If you are having that kind of problem with the mask, you should take the machine, mask, hose and all, into the sleep clinic. They should have walk-in hours posted. They may be able to drop the pressure down and still have it be effective. I had a similar problem getting roused from sleep by my lips blowing raspberries due to the high pressure. They changed my prescription (the code on your card holds that info) and dropped the pressure a wee bit and the raspberries went away.

Not only did the noise wake me up, I started laughing at the whole event and couldn't get back to sleep. You're right, it would make a good comedy bit.

• HadIt.com Elder

Something else I thought about. I was poorly trained to use it by the techs but when they sent me to the honcho he showed me that I was not adjusted correctly. All I can say is the mask takes different angles depending on how many pillows and your head is when it rests. I basically go for a tight fit sitting sown and it works a lot better for me.

The Dr has me using a "Adaptive servo-ventilation" (ASV) machine for my csa and was wondering if anyone here is using one as well? The only problem is the same thing everyone else has, the mask. What it does is, the machine stores information about your normal breathing pattern and automatically uses the airflow pressure to prevent pauses in your breathing while sleeping. Another words, it breaths the same as you. It actually a pretty cool machine with the humidifier.

I don't know if it makes a big difference but I'm a little lazy when it comes to cleaning the hose, like it shows in the book. I think mine says to clean it every day. I been doin it once a week.

People with osa can use this machine as well.

I have a question about the full face mask. Does it cover your entire face and does it work better than the cup type?

Coot

ps; My AHI is 84.7 (sever) and the doc says it's because of my meds. Morphine, Oxycodone and Lidocaine patches. Is anyone else this bad, and does anyone get more than 50% for their apnea? Thanks!

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to ask if that is what they are going to do Reddit. I had two studies done. One without the mask and one with the mask. The lab report said the mask solved the problem. Problem solved but I am dead on my feet. My problem is I am between a doctor, a hospital and an appliance provider.

John