Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Residuals Again

Rate this question

Slowlane

Question

I had Radical Neck Surgery for larynx cancer also radiation and chemotherapy. They removed my sternomastoclieoid (sic) muscle, spinal accessory nerve and jugular vien.

It really screwed up my range of motion and strenght in my right shoulder.

Now the question: Would the VA condider this a residual or secondary claim?

Thanks, Slowlane

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

IMNSHO, it's academic whether you chose to call it a residual or a secondary condition. File a claim.

I had Radical Neck Surgery for larynx cancer also radiation and chemotherapy. They removed my sternomastoclieoid (sic) muscle, spinal accessory nerve and jugular vien.

It really screwed up my range of motion and strenght in my right shoulder.

Now the question: Would the VA condider this a residual or secondary claim?

Thanks, Slowlane

I have already been service connected for the neck cancer......and......I have just recently had a C&P that was as short as they could make it. I did however manage to submit a list of what I considered to be residuals and they actually got typed and included into the C&P exam. It's possible that the VA only wanted to know if I still had active cancer. If they determine that it is still active I guess that they will continue the 100% schedular for a while. If they determine that it is not active I guess at that time they will get serious about the residuals and schedule more exams.

My original question is what is the difference between residuals and secondarys????

If the VA ignores my residuals because they consider them secondary.....Im gonna lose a lot of valuable time submitting claims for secondaries simply because no one knew what was what.

Thanks, Slowlane

Please re-read my earlier response and john999's response, particularly the part "File the claim".

I have already been service connected for the neck cancer......and......I have just recently had a C&P that was as short as they could make it. I did however manage to submit a list of what I considered to be residuals and they actually got typed and included into the C&P exam. It's possible that the VA only wanted to know if I still had active cancer. If they determine that it is still active I guess that they will continue the 100% schedular for a while. If they determine that it is not active I guess at that time they will get serious about the residuals and schedule more exams.

My original question is what is the difference between residuals and secondarys????

If the VA ignores my residuals because they consider them secondary.....Im gonna lose a lot of valuable time submitting claims for secondaries simply because no one knew what was what.

Thanks, Slowlane

I have made a trainwreck out of this. The RO is about half way thru my C&P and I have submitted 4 items for secondary claims. Now I realise that I have at least 3 more items to claim (because I assumed that they were residuals and would be automatically picked up and considered).

All this because I did not know the difference between residuals and secondaries. It's not fair for somebody with frigging neck cancer to have to learn this one dumb mistake at a time. Thank you all for getting the "FILE A CLAIM" point accross to me.

It's always better to make a claim yourself rather than absolutely depend on the VARO picking it up. However, depending on the depth and completeness of your C&PEs, it's possible that the VARO will pick up and rate the secondary/residual conditions.

For example ... me. I filed for a single issue. The exam was pretty good, and I actually received service connection for seven separate issues plus three inferred issues.

You could go ahead and file the additional issues, but that likely will delay whatever is in progress.

Or, you could wait until you receive the Rating Decision based on whatever is claimed now. If the residual/secondary issues are not included, make another claim.

I have made a trainwreck out of this. The RO is about half way thru my C&P and I have submitted 4 items for secondary claims. Now I realise that I have at least 3 more items to claim (because I assumed that they were residuals and would be automatically picked up and considered).

All this because I did not know the difference between residuals and secondaries. It's not fair for somebody with frigging neck cancer to have to learn this one dumb mistake at a time. Thank you all for getting the "FILE A CLAIM" point accross to me.