Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Contains Other Peoples Records

Rate this question

rodin57

Question

Okay, I just did a quick & dirty exam of my C-File. It contains a few of the medical records of another veteran from Tucson. (If I wasn't honest and I had this guys mother's maiden name, I could probably get a home loan in his name.) It also contains financial information from three other veterans. I see from reading the forum that this is not a rare thing. What do most people do with the other records in their C-File? Should I just shred them? Should I try to contact the other veterans? This is just unbelievable incompetence on the part of the VA. (I will not be attaching a scan of their records for this post.)

Now for my real concern: Does some other veteran have copies (that I am missing) of my C-File mixed into their records? If I knew who did this at the RO, I would beat their ass.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Thanks for you kind words, Capt. C. I have just finished a second examination of my C-File. I have concluded that it is completely out-of-order. Since the file was opened at some point in the mailing, I think it's possible that it spilled-out during handling, and whoever was handling it just scooped the papers up and put them back in. Now, I have never had my C-File before, so maybe the C-File copies never come in order. I don't know. I do know that there are notes and reports missing, as I went back one year to my copies I got from each visit to the VA hospital, and they are not in the C-File that was sent to me. It does make me feel a little nervous to have other peoples social security numbers, too. I hope this snowball doesn't turn into an avalanche! I am now trying to put my file into chronological order.

Just received a response from the Post Office. They have verified that my C-File copy was mailed (by the VARO) in an unsealed USPS Priority Box. At least the USPS acknowledges their error for not following their own procedures when dealing with open/unsealed packages. Attached is a copy of the USPS letter for those who may experience the same thing.

Now I will be filing a complaint with the VARO. I will keep you posted!

post-11906-0-46248100-1331224177_thumb.j

Hello Rodin,

I am sorry this thing keeps getting worse but I would not just file a complaint against the VARO. I would go back and reread what I , Carlie and Jbasser said . It is now time to get those I suggested into the battle for you. The VARO is NOT interested in anything you put forward and will NOT take any action. Why should they? It is the old fox guarding the hen house. I would also get in touch with ALL of the other Veterans so that they know what is going on with THEIR Cfile too. Sorry but I don't think I can help you anymore with this. I wish you well with whatever you choose. NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

Thank you for your assistance, Capt. C. Please understand that I am not ignoring anyone's advice here. I am, however, getting advice from several sources, not just Hadit. I am "climbing the ladder"... rung by rung. Some think it was important to get an inspection and analysis from the Postal professionals as to the condition of the package I received. I thought I would probably get some voicemail from the USPS and I was extremely pleased to receive their written statement. Finally, rest assurred that I will not quit. I will continue to post my progress here, so that others who experience this type of situation will have an idea of how one veteran handled the issue. I will post more as I get it!

To answer the original question. When I found medical records of others in my C-file I did two things.

1. Mailed copies of the items to the other veteran

2. Contacted the regional office and told them to remove the items from my file

Interesting, from time to time I go back to the regional office and get the newer information in my c-file, ironically every time I find other veterans information in my copies.....