Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Contains Other Peoples Records

Rate this question

rodin57

Question

Okay, I just did a quick & dirty exam of my C-File. It contains a few of the medical records of another veteran from Tucson. (If I wasn't honest and I had this guys mother's maiden name, I could probably get a home loan in his name.) It also contains financial information from three other veterans. I see from reading the forum that this is not a rare thing. What do most people do with the other records in their C-File? Should I just shred them? Should I try to contact the other veterans? This is just unbelievable incompetence on the part of the VA. (I will not be attaching a scan of their records for this post.)

Now for my real concern: Does some other veteran have copies (that I am missing) of my C-File mixed into their records? If I knew who did this at the RO, I would beat their ass.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

There are a coupla reasons why another veteran's medical records might be in your C-file:

1. The military hospital/clinic put someone else's records in your Service Medical Records while you were on active duty. (In my C-File, there are some treatment records for my two boys.)

2. And yes, the VARO might have erred and put the records in the wrong C-file.

If you have only copies, this is what I'd do:

1. Notify the VARO where your claims file is that there are treatment and financial records for other veterans in your claims file. Request them to remove the incorrect records. If you are close to your VARO, it might be a better idea to request a full record review under supervision, so that you can identify the incorrect records for removal.

2. Return the incorrect records to the VARO, return receipt requested; attach a cover letter that these records were in your file. Or, have a shredding party to destroy the incorrect records in your possession. Note: if these are original records (unlikely) don't shred but DO return.

3. I personally would not try to contact the other veterans.

Okay, I just did a quick & dirty exam of my C-File. It contains a few of the medical records of another veteran from Tucson. (If I wasn't honest and I had this guys mother's maiden name, I could probably get a home loan in his name.) It also contains financial information from three other veterans. I see from reading the forum that this is not a rare thing. What do most people do with the other records in their C-File? Should I just shred them? Should I try to contact the other veterans? This is just unbelievable incompetence on the part of the VA. (I will not be attaching a scan of their records for this post.)

Now for my real concern: Does some other veteran have copies (that I am missing) of my C-File mixed into their records? If I knew who did this at the RO, I would beat their ass.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would contact the VARO and explain that included in the copies they provided you have another Veterans Records and that you believe the records you have are not full and complete.

Or you could make arrangements to review your file at the VARO and deicide if you have complete copies and if that Veterans records are still in your C File.

If it was me I would go to VARO and check.

Good Luck

I agree with Pete but would add that I WOULD contact the other Vets whose file is confused with yours.

Why? Well if my records were mixed up in some other Vets file, I would want to know this. If the VA had denied me because of "lack of evidence" I would consider hiring an attorney to appeal based on the RO mishandling ("mishandling" is the VA's euphanism for shredding") of evidence.

Putting your evidence in someone else's file is the "new shredding" since the VA has taken heat for shredding. Its a good way to "hide" your evidence and it looks like an honest mistake. However, the VA SHOULD insist that claims representatives know how to read the english language before hiring.

• HadIt.com Elder

Do not take these to the RO. We had a member do this a couple of years ago and he was almost arrested as they tried to put it all on him.

BE careful.

Mail it to them.

Personally I would send it to the IG so then can investigate it.

This occurs too common.

J

Hello,,

Whats wrong with this picture???/ As if the veteran does not have enough to deal with.

I would contact the other Veteran first ,,,,,and makes sure he knows about this. I would do it in writing also. Then I would call the IG like Jbasser said, and after you discuss it with them then send them the records certified with a letter saying what you discussed with person at the IG. Make sure you name that person. I would also enclude copies to the House Chair and the Senate Chair of VA. A copy to your senator and congressman would help.

The reason I am listing this is that it must stop . Someone has got to get hold of the insanity. The lack of confidentiality and respect for our Veterans just goes on and on. This will start a check in place to keep someones feet to the fire. If enough people know about it someone is going to start asking why. Above all NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.