Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Bipolar

Rate this question

porg

Question

I am SC 50% for PTSD and am going to another C&P for a rating increase. I am diagnosed bipolar. Should I bring this up in the C&P or just answer the questions asked? I found the first C&P, two years ago, very stressful. Reliving, emotional and telling someone who seemed entirely clinical. I am sure he is a nice person but the process was less than empathetic. Afterwards I sat on the sidewalk outside the phychologist office just watching people go about their normal life while I felt completely abnormal.

I want to be forthcoming with this C&P but I also want to protect myself. I'm just getting this off my chest. If anyone has feedback about disclosing my bipolar I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

To Matthew Hill,

I had my C&P with Dr. Davis in Gainesville. It was an antiseptic experience. He was very disconnected, not empathetic at all. But perhaps that's just the way they have to conduct themselves. Honestly I became worried that they might not only not grant my TDIU but reduce my current 70% rating. Not feeling very hopeful at this point.

I too have both and the VA knows it. In my case, the VA rated the Bipolar as being the most severe, and the PTSD is not rated to prevent the pyramiding of mental conditions.

If you know what I mean when I say that it really sucks when you feel like you're on top of the world and too paranoid to go outside, then you got it!

• HadIt.com Elder

My only question is what evidence do you have that your PTSD is worse? You don't really want to go to a C&P exam that you have requested without solid evidence that you are worse. Are you working? If you are still working I don't think you will get much more than 50%. If you are not working because of PTSD and/or are on SSD because of it then by all means get the C&P. My thinking is unless you can prove you are worse stay away from these mental health C&P exams because you can be reduced. It is subjective as hell.

John

I am getting compensated for PTSD, but I think I have bipolar too. My counselor has me writing down my moods for each day. It is really hard to do, because one part of the day I may feel like I am depressed and the other part of the day I may be the opposite, talking a bunch like a rambling fool..

Anyway, I wish they could just draw blood and figure out what the problem is with my head.. Each time I go to the VA, seems like I am talking to someone new.

My only question is what evidence do you have that your PTSD is worse? You don't really want to go to a C&P exam that you have requested without solid evidence that you are worse. Are you working? If you are still working I don't think you will get much more than 50%. If you are not working because of PTSD and/or are on SSD because of it then by all means get the C&P. My thinking is unless you can prove you are worse stay away from these mental health C&P exams because you can be reduced. It is subjective as hell.

John

John,

Ditto - Ditto - Ditto !

Update:

In 2013 my PTSD rating was increased to 70%. I have been on Family Medical Leave for my PTSD the last 4 months and finally quit my job. I have just filed for TDIU at the urging of my VSO. I hope it all goes through.