Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Individual Unemployability Decision/wait Time

Rate this question

Sniperpeeps

Question

Hello all, first time poster but I have browsed this site for a while now. I have a claim in for increase due to unemployability and the claim closed last Friday, March 2 on ebenefits. I already recieve Social Security Disabilty for my service connected disabilities. My current rating is 90%. I am really stressing out right now and was hoping someone could inform me of a couple things. I called the VA direct deposit center and they told me I had no pending retro payments as of today. I have not recieved my packet yet, but the suspense of not knowing is making both myself and my wife nervous wrecks. From everything I have heard, I should for sure get IU, but I am so worried that they will deny me. I guess I'm wanting to know how long it normally takes to receive both the letter and subsequent payment if approved for IU. I searched all over the forum and couldn't find an answer to my question, I hope it's not a dumb question but I am seriously stressed right now.

Welcome,

Try to keep busy until you get an official answer and decision,

as staying busy will help relieve stress.

The VBA is not under any specific timeframe to provide your "letter and subsequent payment".

Any answer is just a guess as it could easily be say 1 - 6 months.

I strongly doubt it will be anything AT ALL, less than a month.

Hope it all goes well for you.

So where it says that my letter is in the mail on ebenefits is not true then, not surprising

Check the letter generator(Va documents) on ebenefits and keep checking your bank account as I've seen posted here where people have gotten $$ before the big envelope. I would guess any day now for $$ and within 10 days for envelope. Jmo

Edited by #1Cavtrooper

So where it says that my letter is in the mail on ebenefits is not true then, not surprising

Sniper,

You posted,

"Hello all, first time poster but I have browsed this site for a while now. I have a claim in for increase due to unemployability and the claim closed last Friday, March 2 on ebenefits. I already recieve Social Security Disabilty for my service connected disabilities. My current rating is 90%. I am really stressing out right now and was hoping someone could inform me of a couple things. I called the VA direct deposit center and they told me I had no pending retro payments as of today. I have not recieved my packet yet, but the suspense of not knowing is making both myself and my wife nervous wrecks. From everything I have heard, I should for sure get IU, but I am so worried that they will deny me. I guess I'm wanting to know how long it normally takes to receive both the letter and subsequent payment if approved for IU. I searched all over the forum and couldn't find an answer to my question, I hope it's not a dumb question but I am seriously stressed right now."

*** THIS does not mention anything regarding ebenefits showing you have a letter in the mail to you.

Something else you can do, and a few others here has done it and found out is by calling the 800# and simply ask what your % is. DO NOT say "I just got an increase on my ratings and would like to know what it is". The 800 person will tell you sorry I can't give that info out to you, so you have to wait until you get the notification letter. When you call just say my meds are really effecting my memory and I forgot what my rating is..blah..blah..blah. I'm sure you'll figure out what to say.

​Hang in there! Just by what you said tonight it sure sounds like the odds are in your favor my friend! Most of all try to relax or it'll eat ya alive. Have you heard the one about the old bull and a young one sitting on top a hill looking down at the rest of the herd? I better not go there, but the moral of that story is Patience. I'm sure it won't be long till we hear from you in the success forem!

Coot

*** THIS does not mention anything regarding ebenefits showing you have a letter in the mail to you.

I figured the case being complete on ebenefits implied that they had sent the letter, as that is the final step.

eBenefits tells me I had a BVA decision September 30, 2011 and that the decision was mailed to me on October 3, 2011. I have recieved nothing and to my knowledge nothing has gone to BVA.

Peggy at the 800 number indicates nothing has gone to BVA and that the information is wrong. The action on 9/30/2011 was my claim closing because I failed to respond within 60 days.

Earlier in that same conversation she/it confirmed to me that my DRO review was still in its initial stages (even though the hearing, transcript, C&P and a medical opinion have all been requested completed and returned).

It is my continuing experience that information from the 800 number and eBenefits is not reliable.

the only reliable way of determining your decision is complete is when that envelope shows up in the mail box and it is the actual decision.

From what you have indicated I would think you should have an answer soon, but I also didn't think submitting school attendance for my 18yo would be interpreted by the VA as me indicating I have never been married... but it did.

Best regards,