Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Banking Reg To Mark Va Benefits Against Garnishment

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

I read in the NYTimes about a pending regulation that require banks to electronically mark certain deposits (apparently only electronic deposits) such as VA benefits, SS, etc. so that two months worth of payments would be protected from garnishment.

Is any one tracking this or heard of it?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I would like to clear up a few things about garnishment of funds from your checking account. Keep in mind, I am not an attorney, for legal advice contact an attorney.

On This subject matter I am member of a forum that teaches how not to be in that position, and if it does occur, what you need to do to stop it, especially if its non-garnishment funds.

Any collection company or attorney can get an court order to garnish your account. Usually this occurs because you failed to respond to a lawsuit. By doing so, this automatically gives the firm the right to go to court and put a freeze on your funds, or empty your bank account out. Probably both.

Then you will have to go to court to file the appropriate paperwork to see a judge and explain the situation.

You will need to read your court rules of your particular state, each is different.

The bottom line, always respond to a lawsuit. Over 99% do not,thus they wake up to an empty bank account. They will not know these accounts have non garnishment funds in them. That is something you should have told the court about in the appropriate manner according to your court rules.