Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Secondary Conditions

Rate this question

Spiderman

Question

Filing aorta aneurysm as secondary claim to my service connected disability valvular heart disease

US Army 1972-1975, I am currently 60% disabled with a history of service connected valvular heart disease. DX before leaving the service, (Aorta Stenosis, bicuspid aorta valve). My disability is not IHD or connected to AO, but still ;

Service Connected, Peacetime, Incurred

10% from 10/16/1975

100% from 02/13/2007

60% from 09/01/2008

The aorta valve had to be replaced in 2007, In 2010 I started having some familiar symptoms, testing was done the MRI showed an aorta aneurysm 5cm x 4.6cm, 8 months later a CT showed aorta aneurysm 4.9cm x 4.8cm. In the CFR 38 - 4.104 - 7110, an aneurysm is compensability when it reaches 5cm.

Doctor/Radiology progress report states: likely part of the spectrum of by bicuspid valve and aortopathy.

Fellow veterans have told me that this does not say what the relationship is between the aneurysm and the service connected valvular heart disease.

In a non related C&P exam, which was to be for this purpose, but the claim was wrote up wrong, the examiner did comment on the aorta aneurysm, he stated in his DIAGNOSES,(quote) “ 1. Aortic valve replacement for aortic stenosis. 2. Aneurysm of the thoracic aorta. This is most likely related to the aortic stenosis.” IS this going to be sufficient evidence in connecting the two diseases together? Or is a Nexus Letter still going to be needed? I am having a hard time finding someone to write a nexus letter. Thanks of all comments regarding this issue.

Spiderman

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Spider-Man, my hubby has valvular disease.  Had had his aortic valve replaced in sept of 13.  He had aortic stenosis too.  He had ther vavlves,but two were fused together.  The doctors are hearing the murmur again.  He  put a claim in, in 2010 as secondary to diabetes.  It was denied.  I have found new info they have come out saying that it is connected to diabetes.  Even some other claims that have been approved.  So I'm going to take info to his private cards and the surgeon, and see if they can write something up so I can reopen this claim.  Did they approve your claim for valvular disease right off.  Or did you have to wait until you had to have surgery?  Do you have trouble or pain when you bend over? My hubby does.

• HadIt.com Elder

First of all your Aortic Stenosis was a very good win. You are lucky. It is a genetic condition that kills many people who dont know they have it.

Keep us posted on the secondary claim.

Do you have SCD htn?

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Why does it say peacetime incurred??? The VN era (police action) ended officially in May 7, 1975 and as such you are a wartime veteran, even tho you may not have served in VN.

pr

Thats a good question I don't know why that is listed like that, but will check into it, thanks for pointing that out.