Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

It Can Happen! (Bipolar Disability)

Rate this topic

bipolar-vet

All,

I am one of the few that are stricken with Bipolar disorder aggravated by Military service.

Of course getting the SC is the hard beginning. After that you struggle to get past the 10% that is mostly issued for this disorder.

I am here today to tell you it can be done! This week I received my latest Award letter.

100% just for the bipolar.

The key really is patience and excellent records. If you have the documentation and a few years, it can happen.

I started at 30%, then 50% and now 100%.

Hang in there all......

Frm. SGT, USMC

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!

A good friend I have, with manic bipolar disability. ....it took him 12 years to get his VA award. I helped him with the claim after the last denial he got but he kept forgetting to do

something that I felt was critical.

The SF 180 I gave him sat in his desk for YEARS!!!! I finally begged him to file it out and send it in-we needed his 201 file and proof of a Captain's mast and any disciplinary actions.

When he finally sent te SF 180 in , we could get his shrink to review it and make a nexus statement.

Disiplinary actions can be critical to proving,in some cases, the first inservice manifestations of the manic phases of his type of bi polar.

He went from "0" NSC to 100% SC overnight when the BVA read the evidence.

He also had SSDI for the bi polar for 2-3 decades but VA didnt care about that until he proved the inservice manifestations.

At the time he served , the military didnt really know what Manic Bi polar disability was. Let alone the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Back in the day the military treated all mental/emotional disorders with the hammer. You had to be psychotic to be discharged as having a medical mental condition. They did not understand a host of conditions and the command would override psychiatric opinion and just kick people out.

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear your case came through so fast and easy. Mine has been a nightmare and all over the place with diagnoses's and rating decisions.

I was med permanently discharged with more than 30% and BP-I with manic rapid cycle psychotic features (within 2 months of evaluation and ZERO LOR LOC's in the USAF and no judicial punishment). Va only gave me 50% now 60%...for Aspergers (High Function Autism)? Medical diagnosed later as GAD. Then disability was rated back to Bipolar. Now medical is sitting on PTSD per last counselor/therapists records of 2 years.

I don't drink, do drugs, smoke, gamble, go party every nite, promiscuous everyday nor waste my money. I have a credit rating above 700.

The VA wanted to say I can't handle my own funds and assign me a fiduciary 3 months before I divorced (giving it to the wife or ex wife).

Doctor wrote I'm fine to handle it...so did a outside provider Psychologist.

Since I got out the Military I went off meds and never went back. I've been in therapy only.

The only problem is I just can't maintain relationships or stable employment.

I've been trying to get mine fixed to PTSD and Anxiety/Depression but it's a long story.

Be Thankful your case was so easy and with blessings.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use