Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally, A Diagnosis ...

Rate this question

VetsLady

Question

Husband had an appt with his private cardiologist for follow-up to an abnormal EKG (thank you Berta!)

After testing, doc found numerous areas of calcified plaque, confirmation of a prior myocardial infarction (date unknown) although we have a normal EKG from May '04 and then an abnormal one from Sept. '04 that follow-up was done on but apparently not enough.

Private cardiologist diagnosis: ASHD (I believe this is atheroscleriosis heart disease?) IHD, myocardial infarction, patient is taking 4 different medications for his heart disease (he has been for several years.)

His mets are 10.1 (from a QTC exam in '09), left ventricular ejection fraction is 66%

In addition to numerous areas of plaque build-up in the 25% range, the "proximal portion of the first Obtuse Marginal Branch" is totally occluded.

He has a claim opened on his behalf from August '10 as he is service connected for DM2 and residuals due to Agent Orange. He has undergone numerous QTC exams for this condition and although QYC reports marginally indicate possible heart disease, this newest evidence is conclusive and the doc completed and signed the IHD questionnaire. Monday, I will be sending it along with the test report to the Regional Office. I would "think" that with this new concrete evidence, there should be no question to sc him for IHD...will have to await the decision to see what "date" they give him.

I did note in the regs that the language says "or" when referring to ets, syncope, etc. Does this mean in the regs he has to have "all" of the requirements in the individual percentages "or" if I am reading it correctly, it does state "or" ......

At least now we know where he stands heart-health wise and can make changes in lifestyle and diet as best as we can to prevent further build-up. That is the most important thing for now....

Thank you Berta for sharing Rod's story....it sent us straight to the cardiologist. Most importantly, awareness of the current situation and hopefully prevention of further development.

Edited by VetsLady

VetsLady and, Proud to Be

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you Lorraine,

I am ever so thankful for the support of the members here, Berta's story and a couple members who suggested an office call with his private cardiologist was in order.

It's Autonomic neuropathy that I am thinking of.

We have an appt set for tomorrow with his private DM2 doctor; I will talk to him about this

He has a diagnosis of Peripheral Neuropathy, quite severe in both legs he is rated at mild, it has worsened and there is a request for increase in place already) - his arms and hands are affected also, more moderate than the legs which is what concerns me.

It's Autonomic neuropathy that I am thinking of.

We have an appt set for tomorrow with his private DM2 doctor; I will talk to him about this

He has a diagnosis of Peripheral Neuropathy, quite severe in both legs he is rated at mild, it has worsened and there is a request for increase in place already) - his arms and hands are affected also, more moderate than the legs which is what concerns me.

PN is not fun, In fact it's has been worst than the PC. You can be with constant pain thru out your body. I had to quit my job, because i could not walk.

The night's are when the demon's come out, and stabbing in feet, hands, and sometimes your joints. Just as you get to sleep they run knives a cross your feet or burn you with intense fire.

Now that I have got use to lyrica it has help the pain, but not the burning in my feet. Lyrica does cause me to the shakes and you don't drink on it or as muchblink.png

My left lower leg has lost 2" diameter to the right. VA C&P doctor was the one that notice that. I guess why they gave me 60% on the left side.

Good luck, God bless, and Happy Easter

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

I have wondered why his muscles are atrophying .... I'll have to add this to the list of questions for the endocronologist appt tomorrow.

I had thought it was due to other conditions, and it may be, but worth asking.

His pain is pretty severe most of the time, pain meds do help but there are limits with them. Difficulty walking due to burning pain in the calves and yet, he needs some form of exercise (perhaps swimming) for heart health.

I am sorry for you pain, I do understand. Pain affects the whole person.

I have wondered why his muscles are atrophying .... I'll have to add this to the list of questions for the endocronologist appt tomorrow.

I had thought it was due to other conditions, and it may be, but worth asking.

His pain is pretty severe most of the time, pain meds do help but there are limits with them. Difficulty walking due to burning pain in the calves and yet, he needs some form of exercise (perhaps swimming) for heart health.

I am sorry for you pain, I do understand. Pain affects the whole person.

VetsLady, Stange enough, the private doctors from my Pri doctor to my neuro doctor did not seem to be concern about my leg, but VA was very concern.

So if you do C&P for PN secondary to DMII may sure you tell them about his size of leg and arm muscles, joint, and back pain.

The Doctor's MD Anderson cancer recommended swimming to keep the Heart health. All I have is three ringer pool. have to join a club.

The lyrica let me have short walks, 1/2 mile a day, sometimes!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

I found a VCAA form on the VA web-site. Is it necessary to send this form in with this new evidence or, should I generate a letter requesting the RO to decide the claim as this is all of the additional evidence in our possession at this time ?

I wasn't able to find a link on the hadit site to a post about this topic so I posted my question here.

Thank you.