VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Full Time Travel: Prescription Refills Oxycodone

Rate this topic

I will be traveling out of the country most of the time. I could get hydrocodone in another country. I was wondering how important is it to have a paper trail of prescriptions for the VA. Many of the meds I need do not require a prescription in many countries so there would not be a written document.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know if the VA will ship narcotics out of the country. If you go to third world countries they have a great chance of being stolen. I worked for the post office and money orders going registered mail were often stolen going to Mexico or S. America.

I don't know if the VA will ship narcotics out of the country. If you go to third world countries they have a great chance of being stolen. I worked for the post office and money orders going registered mail were often stolen going to Mexico or S. America.

John I know I could buy many of these meds in Costa Rica without a prescription My question is will the VA think that I am no longer taking these meds if I do not get them from them.

Edited by hurryupnwait

• 3 months later...
  • HadIt.com Elder

Oh, I see, then by all means ask for the refills. If you get them great and if the VA won't ship them get a foreign doctor to keep records of your refills and scripts so you can submit this evidence to the VA. You want to find a way to create a papertrail any way you can. I think Costa Rica may be OK since they have a modern medical system. Have you asked the VA if they will ship narcotics out of the USA?

This is the web page for the VA Foreign Medical Program, it discusses how to submit a claim for medical treatment that was received in a foreign country but it does not discuss how to get medications such as hydrocodone that the VA has prescribed in a foreign country . Any one have more info? Am I missing something here?

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/fmp.asp