Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alternatives To Xanax

Rate this question

ensignoftheunit

Question

Recently started seeing the VA psychiatrist and physcologist about my anxiety- textbook GAD according to them. I think I registered about 75% of the symptoms. The pyschiatrist has me on zoloft and 4mg klonopin a day, so she has been very generous with the medications. Both help enormously with my day to day anxiety issues and regular panic attacks. However neither touch my acute panic attacks. I've told her about this and we've tried ativan and valium with similar results. Because of their fairly lengthly onset time by the time my acute panic attacks in full swing the klonopin does nothing to ease it. She has already made it clear she very rarely perscribes Xanax because of its potential abusive nature. This I can agree with. However are there other options in the same class of drugs that I could supplement my other medications with, something with a much shorter onset time than klonopin than Xanax, but without the addictive qualities? Or is it the quick onset that makes it addictive? :(

She's been a great doctor thus far, but I gotta have something on hand for these severe panic attacks :(

Appointment is today, so any suggestions would be a great help!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Clonazeapam is my very helpful - do not kill, pill . . .

but Seroquel is my truest savior.

This is what works best for ME, personally.

Often, patients must go thru several different RX trials to include

slowly increasing and possibly decreasing dosage of an RX -

and trying a different RX, to get to the right RX, mixture and levels of RX's

to receive the optimum benefit available.

Then sometimes the patient might decide not to take any RX's for their own

personal reasons such as side effects - aversion to taking chemicals, natural

ingredients only, therapy is sufficient, etc . . .

Clonazeapam is my very helpful - do not kill, pill . . .

I've been on clonazeapam for about a month and a half now, and I've had great suscess with my general anxiety. But I'm already upto 4mg a day. From what I have heard, for anxiety thats about as high as you can go with that particular drug...

Don't stop taking xanax or clonazepam suddenly! You risk convulsions.

No,no. I've got no intentions of stopping my clonazepam. My question was the clonazepam is sufficent at 4mg to control my general anxeity, but nearly worthless for a severe panic attack. My Doctor doesn't want to perscribe Xanax, and I can understand that, I was just asking if there are any other benzos that have quick onset times that do not have such a bad rap as Xanax?

• HadIt.com Elder

Fact is your Doc may be a crack pot. Xanax is extremely beneficial for patients with anxiety disorder. Clonepin is a slow release xanax by the way.

It is prescribed by VA lots to Veterans like me who have anxiety disorder. Every now and than someone comes and wants to try something else. The studies that are misread are usually addicts who are just out for the buzz abusing their prescription.

I would ask for another Doc if it was me.