Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alternatives To Xanax

Rate this question

ensignoftheunit

Question

Recently started seeing the VA psychiatrist and physcologist about my anxiety- textbook GAD according to them. I think I registered about 75% of the symptoms. The pyschiatrist has me on zoloft and 4mg klonopin a day, so she has been very generous with the medications. Both help enormously with my day to day anxiety issues and regular panic attacks. However neither touch my acute panic attacks. I've told her about this and we've tried ativan and valium with similar results. Because of their fairly lengthly onset time by the time my acute panic attacks in full swing the klonopin does nothing to ease it. She has already made it clear she very rarely perscribes Xanax because of its potential abusive nature. This I can agree with. However are there other options in the same class of drugs that I could supplement my other medications with, something with a much shorter onset time than klonopin than Xanax, but without the addictive qualities? Or is it the quick onset that makes it addictive? :(

She's been a great doctor thus far, but I gotta have something on hand for these severe panic attacks :(

Appointment is today, so any suggestions would be a great help!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My primary doctor wrote a presciption for Xanax about 4 months ago. I took it to VA primary doctor and she filled

the presciption. It was for my anxiety, 90 per month 3 per day. I do not take that amount, maybe one a day or Just

for the special day's that I'm losing it.

You might want to try Passion Flower Extract.....In addition, Clonezapam has been taken for 5 years, it is addictive, but my DR said at my age who cares. I found taking Apraozam XR to be better than plain Alpazolam, in addition Esttalopram 1 x daily and 1 more if extreme mood swing or attack., and another Clonezapam.

RP

Good Luck

Fact is your Doc may be a crack pot. Xanax is extremely beneficial for patients with anxiety disorder. Clonepin is a slow release xanax by the way.

\

Unfortunately that really isn’t an option in Augusta. The clinic here only has one physiatrist; we’re tremendously understaffed down there. It seems like every other appointment is postponed because of an emergency in the ER. She’s been very good in all other aspects, after my first week she didn’t have a problem bumping me up to what she considers the max daily dose of klonopin (4mg), and then tried 5 & 10mg valium with no complaints. I’m back to the 120 1mg of klonopin a month, but it helps with general anxiety but zip for acute panic attacks.

It was originally prescribed for the panic attacks, but now I’m just taking 2mg in the morning and 2mg at noon just as a potential preventative for the panic attacks. Sometimes it works, many times it doesn’t….

• HadIt.com Elder

Any MD can write for xanax. I would look into having a heart to heart with the shrink and if you can't get help she works for somebody. Appeal her decision not to treat you or find a Doc to write prescription for xanax.

A number of years ago I got a young Doc who decided I did not need xanax for the same reason yours did. Probably sleeping when they explained the difference between addicts and people who have anxiety disorders.

Good Luck