Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received Award Letter 1 Year Ago Today

Rate this question

Fco75th25div

Question

One year ago today (26 July, 2011) a big brown envelope from the VA arrived stating I was found to be 80% service connected and would receive $x,xxx per month. I thought great, I need the money and while I am working, it is getting difficult and I could use the financial assistance. I waited a few months and never received anything so I called and was told to be patient, sometimes it takes a few months, so I waited. 3 or 4 more months passed, again no money so I called again and was told the same thing, so I waited. Another 3 or 4 months passed and I called again, Peggy told me she had never seen anything like this and would get to the bottom of it. I called last week, same story, no new information but Peggy did say “ at least your retro is growing larger”, I am beyond tired of the situation.

My advice to all vets who receive the “big brown envelope and letter” do not count on, spend, expect or make any plans for your newly awarded funds until you have a check in hand or deposit into your account. Again, I thought I would have had this long, long ago and I am still waiting with no expectation of anything happening anytime soon.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Its obvious why management hides their numbers but if your smart like I was, look through your CFile and see if they mistakenly didn't black out a phone number to the RO. I really felt sorry for them after I called it and they were like "How did you get this number". I told them I know people....

Go look in your C-file there should be a judgement or award letter or document in there, copy it and mail it to the VA IG office.

Them will conduct an investigation, and clear it up. Also while u are in The C-file check your deposit or banking info is correct !!

Are check you Service rep's office they should have a copy of the award letter and have them file an inquiry on your behalf, trust me

either source will find the money.....

One year ago today (26 July, 2011) a big brown envelope from the VA arrived stating I was found to be 80% service connected and would receive $x,xxx per month. I thought great, I need the money and while I am working, it is getting difficult and I could use the financial assistance. I waited a few months and never received anything so I called and was told to be patient, sometimes it takes a few months, so I waited. 3 or 4 more months passed, again no money so I called again and was told the same thing, so I waited. Another 3 or 4 months passed and I called again, Peggy told me she had never seen anything like this and would get to the bottom of it. I called last week, same story, no new information but Peggy did say “ at least your retro is growing larger”, I am beyond tired of the situation.

My advice to all vets who receive the “big brown envelope and letter” do not count on, spend, expect or make any plans for your newly awarded funds until you have a check in hand or deposit into your account. Again, I thought I would have had this long, long ago and I am still waiting with no expectation of anything happening anytime soon.

Did you have an outstanding debt to pay? or did you receive a terminal payment from the service? If so, the VA could be holding back your award until the payment is made. Now retro is a different matter.

Are you saying that you are not receiving the monthly disability payment?

Or only retro payment?

I've corresponded with a lot of vets who are in the 6-month to over a year that are awaiting retro (I am at the 8-month mark myself) but I am a retiree and we are the ones that the VA is holding back on - even after the VA has received the DFAS audit.

The last thing is maybe they are sending the money to some old account they had on record? or maybe they do not have an address, or maybe an address they have is receiving the checks and a person their is glad to receive a monthly contribution.

If all else, now you can contact your elected officials too!