Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

What do you think my chances are to get SSDI,my conditions are PTSD 50%,headaches 30%,herniated nucleus pulposus DDD 20%, and chronic low back pain disorder. Also do you think I should use a lawyer when I file?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Buzz,

SSDI is based on your inability to do any substantial work of any kind (basiclally meaning 40 hour weeks).

It's completely unrelated to the VA and most people are denied twice before winning at the ALJ level, often with a lawyer.

Excellent resource here: http://www.howtoasse...ms.com/ssd.html

The more preparation you're able to do on your own, the better.

Otherwise figure at least 2 years with a lawyer.

p.s. here's a good post to review:

Key point is don't take preparation lightly and expect fairness and thoroughness from SS; you are presenting a legal case so it's important for it to be a winning one.

Edited by Notorious Kelly

I filed for SSD march 2011, with multiple issues not to unsimilaries as yours. My mother also had multiple issues when she first filed. She had a hard time winning here case. I mention this because my case was much easier, because I listened to her and got me a lawyer as soon as I knew I was going to the third stage (ALJ). Multiple issues are very hard too win, such as my mother found out. Granted I did most of the paperwork, with the first and second stage, but my lawyer did the third.. where I won. I won this year in July, which I believe wasn't to bad from first date of filing (for state of Indiana). I started my claim with VA about the same time.. and I am still on "gathering of evidence".. so being on SSD now is going to make my life a bit more easier because it appears I may have a very long wait for VA to move on my case.

I knew going into the third stage was gamble by myself and if a lawyer was going to help me just a bit... even with the $4,500.00 fee, it would be better than losing and having to go to higher court. It paid off and I am glad that I had the lawyer. A small price to pay considering if I wouldnt had a lawyer, I was about to be evicted (again) and utilities was three months pass due. I won just in time to save my home and now I am all caught up and actually able to take my girlfriend out every now and then :) Not rich, but I can pay my bills and not worry about next months rent.. considering what I have been through... I can not ask for more.

This is in no way me " bragging ", I just wanted to say that anything is possible. I consider myself very lucky. Because I was an OIF vet, I applied for SSDI under their Wounded Warrior process....

1- Without a lawyer

2- Without any medical exam

3- Without any interviews

And was approved in 5 months. All I did was complete my paperwork properly, stayed in touch with my state's disability advisor, and mailed copies of my VA medical records ( phonebook size ). If there is any avenue to let SS know that you are a Vet, do it. Otherwise, you are just a number among millions filing. And I know for sure that my state's disability board had a huge part in SS making their decision.

Good Luck!